Router Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for an opinion or two...

I want to build several RT inserts. Has anyone tried MDF laminated with formica on both sides and sealed on the edges with a sealer? I have built 1/2" mdf inserts and they work well, just worried about edge expansion, therefor the formica and sealing. I'm not worried about flat tolerances as I have height screws built into my insert hole. Thanks, Tim

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
If you have used mdf and it hasn't been distorted by the weight of the router then it sounds like what you are planing will work. I have never had mdf swell unless it was wet. This usually happens when I leave a piece of it sitting on edge on the basement floor. Unless you have experienced a problem with swelling I would just let it go and see what happens.

·
Banned
12,004 Posts
Tim, I am never one to discourage people from trying new things but I think you would be better off just buying some of the $13 mounting plates from Grizzly. First off you will have the removable centers this way. These plates are less likely to sag than MDF. Just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mike... I actually read your $13 insert post a while ago and I contacted Grizzly then and again yesterday. They continue to say they are out of stock and will send the insert when they get them in, however, their answer has been "they are on the way" both times I have called. I don't mind making my own, I just wonder how the mdf will hold up without wrapping it in laminate. I haven't had a sagging problem yet and the one I have has a 3.5" hole in it for raised panels. If that one works I'm sure one with a smaller hole for general routing will work.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Mike is correct, I think that MDF would work but he effort would not be worth doing it as the plate would not last long and the mounting screw holes would never stand the test of time, I have made plates out of 10mm aluminium and they will never wear out and were not that hard to make and for what I use them for then I was quite happy with the single 35mm hole, you do not get the reducing centres with a home made plate so a "bought one" is the best way to go but if you do have to make a plate to use while you wait for the manufactured one to arrive then use aluminium as the time to make one out of that would be much the same and it would not wear out, MDF would be OK for very short use only. NGM

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all... I will probably order a $13 insert from Grizzly even with the wait. Now that I have made a couple out of unwrapped MDF I know I can produce what I need for special router bits like my raised panel bit. I'll be building a new RT soon as I used melamine the first go around and it has worn down to the chipboard base along where most stock slides against the fence. My next table with be laminate top and bottom and wrapped on the sides as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.