Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
21,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to get a grip on table saw above table sawdust collection. Thinking of the Shark Guard. It's about $200 with shipping. Anyone using one? How do you like it? How well does it work? Any hints about it?

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
I really like mine, Tom. I hated having to take off the old Delta OEM guard; the Shark guard is a much more efficient design.
For most operations you don't need to remove the rear fin-mount...it's actually the splitter, but for any normal through-cut you'll need to undo the rear fin mounting bolt as well (assuming your saw is set up that way).
In shor,tIMHO money well spent.

·
Registered
21,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's an engineering drawing of the device. Slight differences based on the saw you have. I'm planning on dropping a 2.5 inch flex hose down from ceiling supports. A 4 inch adapter goes on the other end so I can drop it into the long hose that will soon go through the wall, out to the DC unit.

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
First, an acknowledgement that I am hoping to become a woodworker, I am not one (yet). I have a Shopsmith, my shop is in the basement of our townhouse, and it is also where the washer, dryer, HVAC unit, hot water tank, and all our storage is, so the space serves many uses. I bought a Shark Guard for the Shopsmith. There is a huge difference in the sawdust on top of the unit, and on the floor, than whenI just used the DC on just the bottom of the table saw. This is coming from a highly inexperienced woodworker, but I strongly recommend the Shark Guard. I saw a huge improvement.

·
Registered
21,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Artie, that's exactly the kind of feedback I wanted. I use the table saw as much as possible because it collects a lot of the sawdust, but there's still a ton of it flying around. I think I'm going to get one.

·
Registered
217 Posts
To me the only negative is the cost. You have to rerig your hosing from the DC to get two inputs. If you get one, I’d like to hear your thoughts about it. There was a 2-3 month long wait to get mine, but the guy there (his name escapes me) was very upfront about that.

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
First, an acknowledgement that I am hoping to become a woodworker, I am not one (yet)
You work with wood, inexperienced or not, you're a woodworker.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Artie may believe he's inexperienced however, he is well on his way.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I believe this is just the ticket for me.

I do use my table saw to break down long stock. I have some concern about how the above blade dust collection will be rigged, as the saw sits under my garage door. Any pix on how to do that well will be most appreciated!

·
Registered
21,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I want ahead and ordered it this morning. All the feedback is very positive. I got the 2.5 inch version and will use a Y 4/2.5 inch splitter and blast gate to connect it to the DC. Says they have a 1 week lead time, which suggests I should look for delivery in 2-3 weeks. Thanks guys for your help, I appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.