Router Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again. I've looked at the drill doctor 350X and I'm looking for opinions on it. Does anyone know the difference between the 350X and the XL? Do these sharpeners do a good job and is one model better than another?

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,960 Posts
Scotty,

I can't speak to the model number question, but I can say that the drill doctor does do a pretty good job of sharpening bits. We have an older drill doctor kit on the ship that I work on, and it's great for sharpening standard drill bits. It sets up a lot easier than some of the other sharpening jigs we've used. In fact, people will actually use it.... instead of putting all the dull bits in coffee can next to the sharpener and getting new ones.

Of course, I don't think it can be used to sharpen anything other than 118 deg split point bits. We have the Pro- type model and it will sharpen at other angles as well. I don't think it will sharpen anything like a brad point bit.

Are they decent tools? I think so. Would I buy one for home? probably not. The amount of bits I have to sharpen, doing it by hand works for me. And if I screw one up too bad, I can buy a lot of bits for $75.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Scotty

Just one user review on the Drill Doctor

The one I have ▼ it's like like the DD750,but it's a dark green case, I give it 5 stars out of 5 stars.
It also came with a VHS tape, that helped alot,A how to Show and Tell thing.

Like most wooodworkers I have many drill bits and index after index of drills, The 1st.day I got the drill doctor I put it to work and it been working great for over 2 years, It's the older model and I like it over the newer one, more mass and a bigger foot print.
It will do all the drill bits up to 3/4" ,I see the new one ,all you need is one holder and the older one you needed to buy the chuck holder for the 3/4" bits, but when I sharpen them (3/4" bits) I do them by hand because I can see them :) unlike the small ones e.g. 3/32" and 1/8" etc.

Good bits are not cheap and you and I can spend many dollars for good ones, I think I paid just at 125.oo bucks for the one I have and would do it again.
I know they have a new model out that's battery powered that's the dd530XL I think but it made for the home owner.

I don't think the 350 models can do both Angles: 118° or 135° :( and the backcut, that's nice to have.)

I would recommend the big one and have many times, it's a great tool and will save you many bucks over the years.

Drill Doctor DD750 Drill Bit Sharpener
http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/...+page=/a/ab/drill-doctor/drill-doctor_750.htm

Drill Doctor DD750X Drill Bit Sharpener
http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/...0x.htm?L+coastest+pwng0929ff8d308d+1168882564

Drill Doctor Sharpener, DD350X
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...EARS&sid=I0093600100004900085&pid=00928603000

http://cgi.ebay.com/DD750X-Drill-Doctor-Professional-kit-NEW_W0QQitemZ270064255235QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.onestopshopcatalog.com/dd500pk.html

Bj :)

Attachments

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
I own the smallest of the Drill Doctors, it is powered by your drill motor. This is a very handy device for contractors. You can power it with a cordless drill and it will restore a sharp edge quickly. It is not designed or intended to restore a severly damaged bit. This version is just for quick touch ups. This model does not do anything fancy and I would not suggest that home owners buy this model. Instead purchase one of the larger models with a built in motor.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
I wouldn't and couldn't do without the one I have. They are by far the best method to sharpen your drill bits. I'm in total agreement with Bob. For what they do and what they can save you on price of bits, they are well worth the price you pay for.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I work in the collision repair business and we drill out a lot of spot welds in metal. DD's for us are well worth their weight in gold. It leaves a good point and allows us to set it up on our workbenches and have ready access to it all the time. There is not many days that it is not used at work. I even bought one for myself. A couple of years ago, I bought a high dollar set of bits to use at the house and with that purchase I bought a DD as well and have not regreted it since. There are several different models out there. Do your research for the one that suites your needs.

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
Don't own one yet, but it has slowly reached the top slot on my next tool purchase wish list. I have read rave reviews in many places and now after seeing these as well.... I just gotta have one.

Y'all sure know how to spend my money for me :p :sold:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
New Drill Doctor

Well, I went out shopping yesturday and bought the DD Model 350X. It was on sale @ House of Tools for $85 (I have no affiliation). I haven't tried it yet but I'm going to give it a spin today. Thanks for all your input.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.