Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 217 Posts

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I should wait till my shops ready , but I feel I should purchase it now and assemble it this winter . I’m concerned about the exchange rate on the Canadian dollar ,and if plummets any further .

I measured my room a few times and although I’d prefer a 4x8 ,because of room constraints I’m going to special order a 4X5.
I’m keeping the X axis (the gantry) at 4’ , but adding a foot to the Y axis for a total of 5’ instead of 4.
As much as I’d like to , I’m not buying their electronics. I’ll buy a cabinet and build it myself , which I believe will be a beneficial learning experience, especially for future trouble shooting .

While I’m ordering the table, I have a few questions about other parts to get so they can ship together .

Auto Z and Corner Finding Touch Plate | Avid CNC | CNC Router Parts
Would you guys suggest using their touch plate , or are there better options ?
The expense doesn’t seem to bad .

Pepperl + Fuchs Proximity Sensor Kit | Avid CNC | CNC Router Parts
These sensors seem a bit expensive, and I’m thinking there’s a better option out there somewhere ? I don’t want mechanical stops .

100 mm Spindle Mount - CRP142-12 | Avid CNC | CNC Router Parts
I was going to order their optional tram plate, but I see it’s an option with the 100mm spindle mount . I’m still determined to use a water cooled spindle , so I may as well order this now for sure.

As for a base I want to make my own, so I can save that way also

Attachments

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Well I should wait till my shops ready , but I feel I should purchase it now and assemble it this winter . I’m concerned about the exchange rate on the Canadian dollar ,and if plummets any further .

I measured my room a few times and although I’d prefer a 4x8 ,because of room constraints I’m going to special order a 4X5.
I’m keeping the X axis (the gantry) at 4’ , but adding a foot to the Y axis for a total of 5’ instead of 4.
As much as I’d like to , I’m not buying their electronics. I’ll buy a cabinet and build it myself , which I believe will be a beneficial learning experience, especially for future trouble shooting .

While I’m ordering the table, I have a few questions about other parts to get so they can ship together .

Pepperl + Fuchs Proximity Sensor Kit | Avid CNC | CNC Router Parts
These sensors seem a bit expensive, and I’m thinking there’s a better option out there somewhere ? I don’t want mechanical stops .

100 mm Spindle Mount - CRP142-12 | Avid CNC | CNC Router Parts
I was going to order their optional tram plate, but I see it’s an option with the 100mm spindle mount . I’m still determined to use a water cooled spindle , so I may as well order this now for sure.

As for a base I want to make my own, so I can save that way also
My opinions which are worth about as much as my 1/2 arse paintings. Just order the kit. Make your own stand if you wish. You want to cut or dabble? Saying that......

You need the touch plate for exact work. I still use playing cards but have the touch plate waiting to be hooked up.

I broke one proximity sensor. Cheapest I found was a similar one for about $5 cheaper than CNCRP. So I just ordered a couple from CNCRP.

Get the tram plate. Makes the spindle more rigid and adjustable. Personal choice for me was the air cooled spindle. Less muss and fuss. Just my opinion. But get a spindle of some kind.

That 4 x 5 will probably make most anything you will ever do -- and is expandable down the road. I'd buy their electronics (I'm lectronically limited), get it together, and start cutting as soon as possible. Their instructions and parts are pretty good and you will still learn what they are and what they do. You want to cut or play frustrated builder? The design engineer at my wife's place built his about the same time I was getting interested in CNC. His advice was buy whatever you can afford and screw the building from scratch --- unless your name is David Falkner.

Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.

Just my thoughts which don't mean a thing.

·
Administrator
David
3,976 Posts
We need to let Rick know his account has been hacked and compromised - someone impersonating him ordered a CNC. Next thing we'll see is insulation! :grin:

I'll play along... way to go, Rick! Btw, the 100mm spindle mount is for a 3kW spindle. A 2.2kW spindle uses 80mm. At least that's the way it normally goes. When's the arrival date?

David

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
We need to let Rick know his account has been hacked and compromised - someone impersonating him ordered a CNC. Next thing we'll see is insulation! :grin:

I'll play along... way to go, Rick! Btw, the 100mm spindle mount is for a 3kW spindle. A 2.2kW spindle uses 80mm. At least that's the way it normally goes. When's the arrival date?

David
I don't think he's ordered it yet. He'll make some excuse not to I bet. lol

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

David
Good to know . I had 100 mm in my head for some reason . Actually I thought you were using a 100mm. Guess not

I don't think he's ordered it yet. He'll make some excuse not to I bet. lol
lol , I’m not taking any bets

·
Registered
Mike
3,836 Posts
I'd say get the spindle mount w/tramming adaptor and the touch plate.

For the proximity/homing switches you will probably want to add connectors to the box to connect the cables to or at least use some kind of quick disconnects instead of wiring directly into the control board. There are all kinds of micro switches you can use, you just need to figure out how and where they need to be mounted. You will want to use shielded cable for the switches to help eliminate static problems.

You do have time to search for components but you do need to decide what control software you will be using so you get the correct boards and drivers for the steppers you decide to use. Doing your own electronics you need to remember you will have to configure the components for use with your chosen control software.

Looks like you will beat me to buying a new machine but I do have the insulation for the lower floor in my shop so if I hurry I might beat you to insulating.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'm with John on buy the plug and play electronics, if you can. I built my own electronics, but that is what I do for a living..

As far as proximity sensors, I got mine from Automation Direct (online shopping). Also got my vfd and enclosure there.

A touch plate is definitely worth the money. Someday I will get John to use his...

Good luck with your build!

·
Administrator
David
3,976 Posts
Good to know . I had 100 mm in my head for some reason . Actually I thought you were using a 100mm. Guess not
I am using 100mm, Rick, and I have a 3kW spindle. I just didn't want to see you order a 100mm mount for a 2.2kW spindle, if that's what you're getting. You'll need the 80mm mount for the 2.2kW spindle.

David

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am using 100mm, Rick, and I have a 3kW spindle. I just didn't want to see you order a 100mm mount for a 2.2kW spindle, if that's what you're getting. You'll need the 80mm mount for the 2.2kW spindle.

David
Ok I was right with the 100mm mount as I want to get the same spindle your using . Any reason I shouldn’t go that big?
For 3D carvings ,maybe a 3kw is burning up more electricity than needed?

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm with John on buy the plug and play electronics, if you can. I built my own electronics, but that is what I do for a living..

As far as proximity sensors, I got mine from Automation Direct (online shopping). Also got my vfd and enclosure there.

A touch plate is definitely worth the money. Someday I will get John to use his...

Good luck with your build!
I’m not to intimidated by the electronics, and I’m actually looking forward to it . I’ll have an over sized cabinet just to make things easier to work on .

I was hoping to use UCCNC , and Avid doesn’t support it, so I will be stuck with Mach 3 or 4 if I use their electronics.

·
Administrator
David
3,976 Posts
Ok I was right with the 100mm mount as I want to get the same spindle your using . Any reason I shouldn’t go that big?
For 3D carvings ,maybe a 3kw is burning up more electricity than needed?
I would get the 3kW over the 2.2kW. I doubt there's more than a couple of amps difference in what they pull and there's just something about MORE POWER that I love!!! :grin:

David

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
I would get the 3kW over the 2.2kW. I doubt there's more than a couple of amps difference in what they pull and there's just something about MORE POWER that I love!!! :grin:

David
Bigger IS better!!!!!

·
Registered
372 Posts
As long as you buy well documented electronics, you will not have any issues. You are just connecting boxes with wires, not much more complicated than wiring a stereo system, not like you need to solder components on boards. Do buy decent shielded wire, it will definitely prevent issues that you don’t want to track down. The steppers and Spindle will definitely need to be shielded, not necessary for the proximity sensors, but won’t hurt. Shielded wire designed for high flex applications is more expensive and a bit harder to find. That is one of the reasons for the higher cost of their prewired setups - they actually supply decent cables. .
I do urge you to learn at least a little about steppers. You will not want to buy most of the cheap sets of steppers and drivers that are out there. You want to look for some low inductance ones, the recommended driver voltage is related to the inductance by the formula V = 32 x sqrt(inductance). The ones that CNC Router Parts (Avid) sells are pretty good, but you may find equivalent elsewhere for less. Have you decided on whether you will go Nema23 or 34? I have the 23s from CRP on my DIY and am quite happy, I believe David used 34s.

I used the ESS, but if you want to go UCCNC, you will need one of their motion controllers. I bought an AXBB-E and UCCNC license a few months ago (for a planned smaller machine), combined they were less than either the ESS or Mach4. Based on Gerry’s recommendations, I think it is a smart way to go.

My machine is also 4’ x 5’, it is a great size, and easy to balance a full 4 x 8 sheet if you need to. In 3 years since I built mine, I have yet to need to, but am building a new house and shop and will extend mine (already have the extrusions) so I can do my kitchen cabinets. Don’t forget to assemble it allowing the spindle to overhang one end so you can do joinery cuts on vertical boards - consider 6’ rails.

I have a feeling that once you receive it, you won’t be waiting for winter to assemble. Have you started learning any of the software yet?

·
Registered
71 Posts

Here's a link to the touch plate I use. The Makers Guide - Triple Edge Finder - THE MAKERS GUIDE The Maker's Guide costs $77 vs Avid's $130, a significant difference. There are also ones similar to the Maker's Guide on Ebay from around $35 to $55.

The Maker's Guide does corner finding and sets Z. It works great, but does not have spring loading for Z axis touch off. I've only had a problem with that once, but it had nothing to do with the the touch plate. At that time, I was using an acme screw on Z. The coupling slipped and allowed the axis to dive too deep and chipped a cutting edge.

Gary

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Here's a link to the touch plate I use. The Makers Guide - Triple Edge Finder - THE MAKERS GUIDE The Maker's Guide costs $77 vs Avid's $130, a significant difference. There are also ones similar to the Maker's Guide on Ebay from around $35 to $55.

The Maker's Guide does corner finding and sets Z. It works great, but does not have spring loading for Z axis touch off. I've only had a problem with that once, but it had nothing to do with the the touch plate. At that time, I was using an acme screw on Z. The coupling slipped and allowed the axis to dive too deep and chipped a cutting edge.

Gary
That’s very cool . The only think I like about the cncrouterparts one is it has a spring loaded plate .
It’s funny , as you say there shouldn’t be an issue , but I get anxiety every time I watch those bits go down to touch the solid metal surface . I’m assuming it’s made from aluminum?

I’m going to order one from cncrouterparts,and buy this one at a later date when I get a little more familiar with the machine .
Thanks for the info Gary

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I wish I still had cncrouterparts phone number . I forgot they don’t provide one , and you have to email them in order for a call back .
Guess they were getting to many phone calls :(

1 - 20 of 217 Posts