Router Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think we have done all the inside stuff to our house so now it is time to spruce up the yard. Spring is here and projects are aplenty!

First up is to repair part of our privacy fence so my sweetie can work on the flower bed.

So guess what day it is? DEMO DAY! :grin:

Actually it turned out great. We got a lot done in a short amount of time. We started about 1pm and stopped for the day about 5PM. That included a trip to Chick Fil A and Lowes to pick up lunch and material for the fence.

Tomorrow we will start nailing on the pickets.
Mike

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
Well that's a bonus that the posts were still in good shape . This job should be a cake walk for you and the misses . Oh I'm forgetting the deck

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that's a bonus that the posts were still in good shape . This job should be a cake walk for you and the misses . Oh I'm forgetting the deck
That's part 2. A guy is coming tomorrow to give a quote for a stamped concrete patio area.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,835 Posts
from the looks of them wavy stringers you waited just long enough to do some repair work
this should stiffen that fence up

Reactions: MT Stringer

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Mike,

Your progress chart and mine are on two different pages. Good Start!

HJ

Reactions: MT Stringer

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
I love our covered patio. 2/3rds are covered by a solid roof, the other has a shade cloth cover. Make sure the concrete guys put in some way of attaching posts so you can cover the area. Nice project and that fence is going to make an excellent background for her flower bed. We had to remove several trees that shaded the area, but it is wonderful to sit under that roof and enjoy the view of the garden to the right, which is now full of flowers.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
from the looks of them wavy stringers you waited just long enough to do some repair work
this should stiffen that fence up
Right you are.

Having built a mile of fences in my day here's a minor hint. We used to put a TEE out of a 2 x 6 (on edge) and a 2 x 4 (on the flat) at the bottom of the fence.

Usually it was a 4' fence board next, 2 x 4 on the flat, then a 12" lattice on top captured by the top 2 x 4. That gave us a fence that usually topped out at about 6 feet.

It looks like you are going with a solid fence with either 5' or maybe even 6' fence boards, and with three horizontal stringers it will never sag.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
That looks good. Now I wish I had a small mini-yard. Have almost an acre. However, we spend very little time outside on the deck. I have asthma and allergies and the Mrs. has allergies. We try to "save up" outdoor time for grandkids' baseball games.

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, alrighty then. This phase of our yard makeover is complete. The concrete guy came by and I sent him off with a crude drawing of what we want. Waiting to hear from him.

The fence turned out nice. Feels stronger than before that's for sure.
Stay tuned. More to come.
Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
575 Posts
Looks much better, that ought to last a while, always amazed to see fences with the 2x4 runners laid flat, you know they will sag quickly. Do you plan to oil or stain it for protection?

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
Wow what a differance new boards make . Major improvement ;)

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
That's the one he made a couple projects ago. It's the flipper.

Mike, check your email.

HJ

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, it is one of those transformers - table->bench.
I drilled a hole for the umbrella.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts