Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We are off and running on part four. We bought a playhouse from Sam's Club, and the time has come to put it up. No, I didn't build one. Sometimes you have to pick your battles. This was not one of them! :surprise::grin:

First things first. Since the playhouse doesn't come with a floor, I need to build one.

Let's see...about this wide and this long. OK, a 10 foot and an 8 foot treated 2x4 and some composite deck boards.

Ready, set, go! :smile:

Note: Today was a rainy day so it was a good time to work in the shop building the frame. Check out the pics. I had two helpers holding the boards while I screwed them together. :surprise:

Attachments

·
Registered
17,408 Posts
That's a great setup Mike . Something I will incorporate after you know what .(not going to say it lol )

·
Registered
17,408 Posts
Btw I love the idea of a play house . When I was a kid I commandeered my dads tool shed. When your a kid it's important to have your own private domain , at least in my case it was.
Would have liked to have seen what you what have come up with though , had you built one yourself

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Dan, I was thinking that itchy stuff you put in the walls to make your shop more comfortable in the summer and winter. I believe it is called INSULATION.

·
Registered
Paul
1,839 Posts
Yup those helpers look very much like the extra hands that I wish I had on some jobs.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
@MT Stringer

Good approach, particularly with the helpers.

Interested in the "treated wood". Based on its color it appears to be the "yellow wood" that Tom talked about for turtles. Comments?

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Nice. The concrete pads might settle a bit when the playhouse is set up.

FWIW, spent three days Memorial Day weekend building a log doghouse for my son's Lab. Made from landscaping timbers. Split, cut, fit, run in the deck screws. Had front porch so Hogan would be outside in bad weather, door offset for wind protection, chimney with removable cap for ventilation. Plus the thing weighed a ton! We moved it when he got married.
The things we do for our kids and now the grandkids.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Hey, John; when my kid was a kid, I built her a fort over a sandbox, out of pt 4x4s and 2x's. Bolted and screwed together for the most part.
When she'd long outgrown playing in it, I sold it...as is where is; bring your own tools. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mike; your clamping system never fails to impress me. You know that some manufacturer is going to steal it, right? :)
Thanks. I did see it first on the internet somewhere else. But boy howdy, those things work great. Maybe not exactly like the old timers might use them, but they work great just the same. You can never have too many clamps or helpers! :surprise::grin::grin::grin:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mike; your clamping system never fails to impress me. You know that some manufacturer is going to steal it, right?
Thanks. I did see it first on the internet somewhere else. But boy howdy, those things work great. Maybe not exactly like the old timers might use them, but they work great just the same. You can never have too many clamps or helpers!
I agree with stringer, it seems that you can never have enough clamps.. boy, I need to start investing. Lol

·
Super Moderator
5,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not only does she install cabinets, and build fences, she also builds decks and houses! :smile:

We built a couple of tables using two electrical wire spools we got from Pat's nephew, and some boards I found in my mom's garage. Free wood! :grin: The boards came from a church demo when it was remodeled. After some careful measuring, we were able to cut two 32 inch round table tops out of the four boards. They are screwed to the spool with 3 inch deck screws. I used the ROS to slightly rough up the finish here and there and round over the edges. Then I sprayed a liberal amount of Thompson's water sealer to help protect the finish! >:) The end results is two usable tables that look like they were built that way in the first place.

The little playhouse turned out nice. The grandkids are going to love it. We are having a family get together this weekend. Good times ahead for sure.

I think we are just about through with the makeover. Yeah, right. :surprise::grin:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts