Router Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing a search for a video showing a Dewalt 621 router (more on that later) and came across this video showing the making of an electric guitar. This is a really good illustration of using templates and a router, both table mounted and hand held, to make a pretty complicated part.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Tom, Great find! I am always amazed at all the steps involved in making an instrument, where any goof turns it into fire wood. Luthiers have it all together!

·
Registered
487 Posts
That was an interesting video on how to build a neck through guitar. Something I have always wanted to try but still haven't screwed up the courage to do. I build guitars myself but I buy the neck ready to install because I really don't have the proper tools and more than anything the patience to build them. I do however build the bodies from scratch and I also buy broken or partially finished guitars and sometimes modify them to suit myself. The two guitar styles I build most are The Fender Telecaster and the Fender Stratocaster. I do have a Gibson SG body I am working on at present that I modified to utilize 3 pickups rather than the 2 it was designed for. It had a broken neck when I bought it and I searched Ebay until I found a Gibson SG neck the same color as the body and the proper chrome hardware to complete it. It will be unique in as much as the 3 pickups are Red, White and Blue and the strings are 2 Red, 2 White and 2 Blue from the top down. The body itself is red with an antique cream colored pick guard. For my build from scratch guitars I use mostly Mahogany or Black Walnut for the bodies with a Maple body occasionally or a combination of the dark and light wood. I also buy 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick bookmarked exotic wood to cap off a piece of Mahogany for a body. When I first started I used clear shellac to finish them but I discovered Tru Oil and that is all I use now. I prefer the natural color and grain pattern of the wood so I use Tru Oil instead of paint that covers up the natural beauty of the wood. Not only that Tru Oil is more durable and easier to care for than paint in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was an interesting video on how to build a neck through guitar. Something I have always wanted to try but still haven't screwed up the courage to do. I build guitars myself but I buy the neck ready to install because I really don't have the proper tools and more than anything the patience to build them. I do however build the bodies from scratch and I also buy broken or partially finished guitars and sometimes modify them to suit myself. The two guitar styles I build most are The Fender Telecaster and the Fender Stratocaster. I do have a Gibson SG body I am working on at present that I modified to utilize 3 pickups rather than the 2 it was designed for. It had a broken neck when I bought it and I searched Ebay until I found a Gibson SG neck the same color as the body and the proper chrome hardware to complete it. It will be unique in as much as the 3 pickups are Red, White and Blue and the strings are 2 Red, 2 White and 2 Blue from the top down. The body itself is red with an antique cream colored pick guard. For my build from scratch guitars I use mostly Mahogany or Black Walnut for the bodies with a Maple body occasionally or a combination of the dark and light wood. I also buy 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick bookmarked exotic wood to cap off a piece of Mahogany for a body. When I first started I used clear shellac to finish them but I discovered Tru Oil and that is all I use now. I prefer the natural color and grain pattern of the wood so I use Tru Oil instead of paint that covers up the natural beauty of the wood. Not only that Tru Oil is more durable and easier to care for than paint in my opinion.
Ken,

If that's your only hangup, Stewart-MacDonald sells fretboards ready to install Slotted Fingerboard for Fender Guitar | stewmac.com Here's a source for templates, got a couple of neck-thru's Guitar Building Templates - Shop now

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Ken try using the Orginal Armor All with True Oil. Just squirt the AA on the wood and wipe it with your hand till it's covered. Then rub the TO with your fingers. It want take but a minute or two and it will soak in. You can put 5 or 6 coats on in a day. :grin: I have done this on a lot of gun stocks. Just try it on a scrap piece of wood and see what you think.

Don

1 - 6 of 6 Posts