Router Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a productive week in the workshop.
The owl is made from zebrano front and back, with a beech core. Eye patch is maple.
the trays are blue flocked, and the eyes are disposable contact lens cases, dipped in black paint. The beak is rosewood, also dipped in black gloss paint and then varnished.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
That’s just pretty neat.

·
Premium Member
20,438 Posts
I like the way this opens up and comes apart. Some precision cutting going on there. I've never much liked zebrawood, too much grain to suit me, but it was a perfect choice for this great little project. The finish is terrific and the top, carved ears, is downright elegant.

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,544 Posts
That’s pretty cool Bob. Way to much precision for a guy like me to do

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vince, spill? what spill?
I didnt do it, nobody saw anything. you cant prove anything (with apologies to Bart Simpson).

Nah, it was spotted from 40 paces while i was still relaxing in my rocking chair. i know a couple of eagles that would kill for her eyesight.
I cant do much else with wood Vince, so I take care with what I can achieve, flattery is always accepted.

·
Registered
Paul
2,008 Posts
I don't believe that I've ever met zebrawood in person. Your owl is great: the contrasting woods, the flocking, the drawer handles and the finish, all beautiful. Great work Bob.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Bob, you are always coming up with some neat projects and you didn't let us down on this one. :smile:

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Bob, I think you gave us an overview of your finishing techniques a while back, but I'm not finding it now. I had it bookmarked on my computer that died. Could you give us a quick explanation of how you did that one? Thanks.

·
Registered
Theo
7,182 Posts
I like that. Grumpy owl it is. But the apart photo looks like something from the zombie apocalypse.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you talking of the wipe on poly?
I sand to 240 grit mostly, sometimes 320 if I want a real shine.
You can buy wipe on poly by minwax if youre rich. Or you can just mix white spirit (thinners) with an OIL BASED poly in gloss, matt , or any other finish you want. I always use clear gloss. DO NOT try water based, it dont work

Malcolm (kentucky) on here helped me a lot in getting the mix right. He's been doing this way longer than me.
I use 5 teaspoons poly to 4 teaspoons thinners, but whatever works for you. That will do a large box inside and out, and if you cover it carefully it will still do a second coat the next day (doesnt soak up any where near as much on the second coat).
Wipe on with a small piece of clean rag or heavy duty paper towel. Wipe off excess with a new clean piece or rag or towel, dont scrub it clean, just enough so it doesnt go globby on the edges. Let it dry.
I then use OOOO wire wool very gently to de nib and coat again.
Do that as often as you want.
But you must let it fully dry before you even handle it let alone put more on or youll smudge the finish.
I use vinyl gloves so I dont put fingerprints on the wood while coating it.
The boxes I flock the insides. just as per instructions when you buy the stuff.
But I have found a dodge for that (dont tell anyone, will you?). I cant get the special glue here because its not sold on island and the stuff is flammable so it cant be air mailed. I have found a way round that using metal paint like Hammerite, but you have to match the paint colour to the flocking colour. But I have just found a way around that as well, because the metal paint was seeping through the thin wood of the drawers and colouring the external finish. I now just use ordinary white PVA glue. I put a large dollop in the middle of the box, quickly spread it evenly around the internals, and then flock with the applicator. The glue dries clear so I dont need to keep buying different colour paints because I have blue, black and red flocking powder. (SHHHHHH>)

·
Registered
Mike
3,836 Posts
Well done Bob. Looks like a fun project.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In the interest of not giving anybody bad advice, I dont recommend the pva glue I talked about in the above post. I've done a few more trials with it and although its usable with enough care taken, the finish is not reliable. If you leave the glue just a little bit thick it skins over but doesnt set underneath, so you can get soft patches of flocking that will come apart under normal handling. If you wipe it a bit thin, then the flocking just doesnt stick and you get bare patches.

So i now coat the inside surfaces with clear varnish to seal the wood grain, then I use hammerite paint of the same colour as the flocking.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
You can also use acrylic paint the same color as the flocking. Just make sure you flock it before the paint dries ---- which ain't long.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts