Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up what appears to be a pretty good Porter Cable 5182 15-A (3 HP) router at a sale this weekend. Does anyone have any experience with these? Any opinions? It went REALLY cheap and I figured I couldn't go wrong. If nothing else, it weighs enough to make a pretty good boat anchor :) . Anyway, I plugged it in and tried it out when I got home and it seems to work okay. It's got a 5-position switch for speed control that's some form of very early electronic control it appears. The lowest setting seems to have some trouble stabilizing, but the other 4 settings appeared to run good. I think it may need a new set of brushes too. Anyway, I'd really appreciate any information anyone might have on this model.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought one of these back in the 80s, it's since been discontinued and replaced by the 75182. The collet broke on mine and I cannot find a replacement anywhere. It worked ok but I had trouble with the bits wandering up and down. So I was always over tightening to avoid this problem and that caused my collet to brake. good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the same router 5182 on my gerber cnc. Its an older one and i am having issues with it, though would like to buy another because all the replacements are too mall in diameter. Would you be interested in selling?

Thanks Eric

·
Super Moderator
John
6,918 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. :) Dan
the thread you are following is quite old

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I just bought a 5182 at community garage sale, it appears old, very heavy, the speed setting appears broken but it works.

Dan
it may be the capacitors in the controller...
change them out...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts