Router Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pakistani Pile Driver . . . .

This is for all you construction/engineer types

Here's a construction technique that would be handy to know. Read the calculations below then click on the link at the bottom of the article to see this technique in action. It’s something to cheer up any engineer. It will put you in the picture and keep you up-to-date with the latest construction developments.

Below is a link to a short video of a Pakistani pile driving construction technique. Notice that the pile driving becomes effective when the extra man jumps on. Very finely tuned! The chant is also catchy.

Now, let's analyze the Engineering here:

6 men x 180 lbs. = 1080 lbs. static force Jumping up and down will create a 3 times dynamic effect = 3240 lbs./jump = 1.6-ton thumps if the pile is tapered to 2 in. x 2 in., cross section at the tip = sq. in. So, dynamic press "Add a man" feature will increase to 950 psi, so buy the option!

Increase the chant and dynamic force goes up to 5 times to bring maximum pressure/thump to 1600 psi for a 7-man team.

Quite good, and it will penetrate hard clay and sandy soil but not hard rock!

We figure the foreman is the guy on the tambourine...you'll probably watch this twice because you won't want to believe your eyes the first time...

https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/cFb0nLCKypg?rel=0

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
You're right Brian, had to watch that twice. That was so funny, I think the chant is to make out to anyone out of sight that they have the proper machine for doing that.

Wait, gonna watch it again.

·
Registered
Theo
6,923 Posts
Definite advantages. Cheaper than a machine, no maintenance, probably faster to set up than a machine, probably as fast as a machine, and it works. Gets a thumbs up from me.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Very funny for us to watch, but in Pakistan where money is tight and humans are abundant, methods like this get the job done. That must be some mighty soft dirt though.

Charley

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Typical of "come-lately's"...take the credit for the whole project...

Loved your calculations rationalizing the impact of the last man...

Now to see if I can get enough volunteers to build me a dock...

:surprise::grin:

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Those look like precast concrete piling to me. If they can put them down that easy, then that building will surely settle before long.
Herb

·
Registered
233 Posts
Slick!!! And yes, I watched it twice, too. It's only cause I was impressed with their ingenuity. I feel like I can build anything now! Where's my phone book, got to call a few friends over!

You know, what I don't understand, is why didn't that 6th guy get up on the beam in the first place. Everyone knows balance makes a huge difference. 3 to 2 is not conducive to the harmony of physics.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
It's kinda like farming and other things you make do with what you have.

·
Registered
Theo
6,923 Posts
I found out that is in Thailand, not Pakistan. Actually, in certain areas of Bangkok, the water level is very high, and I think all of the buildings in those areas were on pilings. Never saw any being driven, but I know my ex-sister-in-laws house was on pilings, and they had permanent pools of water in their 'yard'. The pilings were teak tho I believe, I do know the entire house, two story, was teak. They later moved, had the house dismantled, took it with them, and had it re-assembled in the new location. I've seen houses built over the water, and on pilings, with apparently no probability of the pilings sinking in more.

·
Registered
233 Posts
OH! You made a liar out of me; I told my engineer uncle and German friend it was Pakistani! LOL

Oh well, I still love this method...good exercise, much less waste, cheaper...

I showed this to my dad yesterday and he started talking about when he worked in the factory. He was telling me about the jobs that no one wanted and they would only grab the gravy jobs and then he would be stuck with the crap.

Well, he got smart and went through the scrap and made special jigs that he kept in his cabinets and he could plow through some crap jobs and get the gravy jobs after. And everyone couldn't understand how he was able to do this. (they didn't see all his secrets.)

Anyway, the boss started bringing certain jobs to him since he noticed my dad was often doing them. One day the boss was curious-but dad still wouldn't tell him and then asked, "What are you going to do if I am not here some day?"

That's all it took for the boss to talk to his boss and they took this one "worst" job over to the better drills and these engineers came over and made a trunion and all this fancy stuff to make this job really easy. I don't remember how long he said it took them to fabricate this special tool, but here for years dad was doing it with scrap metal he always hid in his cabinet.

It's like the start of a bad joke...how many engineers does it take to... LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts