Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been collecting a few pictures of projects that use pallet wood. One was the wine storage cabinet which I built three of them.

Here are some other ideas. Not sure if I will build any of them, but interesting anyway. Note: The internet is full of ideas but these appeal to me. :grin:

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
great ideas, Mike...enough to go pallet hunting...
Thanks for sharing...

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I need a "Two Thumbs Up" Button :lol: Not so long ago I started gathering pallet patterns and instructions. Now to have the energy to get started on them!

Reactions: MT Stringer

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
The seventh project in the list would be an easy one. You don't even have to take the pallet apart, just stain, finish and hang.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Izzy Swan's Eizzy Bar Pro

Speaking of pallets, have you seen Izzy Swan's Eizzy Bar Pro? It looks like a great tool for breaking up pallets.

Reactions: OutoftheWoodwork

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have dismantled a few pallets and I can honestly say, none of the nails came out with such little effort as he shows. I have a homemade bar the straddles the runner and all it does it bust the board because most of the nails are spiral design shot with a nail gun. If the wood is hardwood and not the garden variety 2x4, they don't want to budge. Thus the board splits when the board is forced upward.

I bet his bar works good, but one handed? He must be a very strong dude.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the ideas Mike

Great ideas for the pallet wood we all have. I find that I cut the nails with a sawzall then use a punch to get them out.
Mathias Wandell has a video on that method. I find I split and wreck less material that way. Although, sometimes the cracked look is what your after.

Marty

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great ideas for the pallet wood we all have. I find that I cut the nails with a sawzall then use a punch to get them out.
Mathias Wandell has a video on that method. I find I split and wreck less material that way. Although, sometimes the cracked look is what your after.

Marty
Sometimes I want all of the wood!. :surprise: So, I cut the boards away with a circular saw, then pull the nails with big tools. A big pair of pliers (Harbor Freight special) and a fulcrum helps get the nails out of the runners. Those spiral nails are a real pain.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Speaking of pallets, have you seen Izzy Swan's Eizzy Bar Pro? It looks like a great tool for breaking up pallets.
https://youtu.be/VWlisIwtxbY
I WANT ONE.....!!! (My Christmas present lol) just showed the video to Ken and even he agreed we could use it. First, for pallets and secondly to tear up the planks on our deck when we fix it next year.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Mike: What nail finder do you use (if you do)? I've got some reclaimed lumber that I'd like to use, but finding embedded nails/metal is imperative. I'm willing to pay for a GOOD one.

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mike: What nail finder do you use (if you do)? I've got some reclaimed lumber that I'd like to use, but finding embedded nails/metal is imperative. I'm willing to pay for a GOOD one.
I bought one from Harbor Freight.

I saw a video where a guy taped some rare earth magnets together In a stack) with a piece of fishing string for the handle. It worked good for those hidden nails. I haven't tried that method but I do have a few magnets.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Nice ideas. My wife wanted to make some pallet things. There was a reply from a retired truck driver on another website that said he saw all kinds of chemicals and things spilled on pallets. As a result, he couldn't recommend using pallet wood and wouldn't use it himself. FWIW, I scratched pallet wood off the list.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts