Router Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I don`t know if it is allowed to use brand names on this forum? I want to purchase a panelraising bit set, to make shaker doors, which is the best, Sommerfeld or Katana? The Sommerfeld setup looks quite easy as it comes with a small rubber grommet and all the bits are the same height, so you set up once and then simply change the different bits as needed. Does the Katana sets work in the same way, and what about quality differences between the two? This is the first time I`m looking at panel raising and I do not know what to look out for. Any help will be appreciated. Since we have a very limited range available over here, I`ll probably have to import.

Thank you

·
Registered
522 Posts
Andries, to the best of my knowledge the good old Shakers did not make that many raised panel doors. Their style and ethos was not dissimilar to the Voortrekkers. I'm no expert of course but I think the more traditional Shaker style is something like this;

You can however, get rail & stile bits that will make a door based on the Shaker style.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Both Sommerfeld and Katana are good bits. Hilton is correct. The Shakers had the raised part on the inside of the door so that the outside was easier to keep clean.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, Hilton you and Charles are both 100% correct, but I want to do a shaker with a raised panel. The attached picture is what I want to do, I found it on the web.

Attachments

·
Registered
522 Posts
Then either Katana or MS bits will work. Just get the matching set as Bj advised. MLCS at least ships for free in the US. What courier were you thinking of using?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hilton whenever I order from the USA I leave it to the supplier to use the courier they trust, they send you a delivery quote and if you accept your order is on the way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts