Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!!! I've cracked and broken off a piece of my lock nut on my old Sears Commercial router Model# 315.17380 mounted under my table. That's the splined nut under the jam nut with the two grooves cut into it for the spindle locking lever to engage in order to loosen the collet nut and remove or install a bit. About 2/3 of the nut is still in place on the collet shaft and one locking groove remains, but I haven't gotten up the courage to try to remove the last bit I was using. I did finish my last two passes with it like this so that I could go ahead and clamp a glue-up and go to bed. It isn't as bad as I thought it would be, but there is definitely a little vibration. Not good for the router, table, bits, wood, me... So...to wrap this up...this part is discontinued by Sears. Does anyone have any idea about a replacement or the ease in which a replacement may be machined? I should check ebay before I submit this post, shouldn't I?:rolleyes:

Thanks in advance,
Josh

-When in doubt, cut a little more and then scale down the whole project.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Josh, I would set this router aside and watch for used routers on craigslist and Ebay. With the new Craftsman combo kit selling for $120 they would be a better choice than a costly repair. Please do not use the router until it is fixed. We like our members!

·
Registered
23,786 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you gentlemen. I'm defininitely not using it anymore as it's not safe; thanks for the concern. Bob, the part I'm needing is key#37 on the IPB (schematic). I don't know if the collet #32 that I think you're talking about actually includes #37. I talked to a representative at my local area Sears store, but I believe he was kind of new to the department. At any rate, I'll look into it a bit more. Thanks again.

Josh

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I remembered an old friend who lives in the area who is an aspiring machinist who's been building up his own shop for the last few years. I'm going over to his shop on Saturday with my old router to see what we can come up with. Wish us luck in reviving the old girl.

Josh the Marine

·
Registered
7 Posts
Any luck on getting this part? I am in need of the same part and unfortunately don't know of any machine shops that are local to me and the closest tech school is too far to drive and have it be worth the trip.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Joex51,

My buddy machined a replacement part for me, but he's since moved away and I don't have a contact # for him. I talked to another guy who used a nut that would fit the collet and tapped a setscrew through the side of it. Don't know how that worked out for him. It's definitely not the best idea though. I got a great deal on the Craftsman combo from Sears and am really enjoying that one.

-Josh the Marine

·
Registered
3 Posts
Craftsman Router

Any luck on getting this part? I am in need of the same part and unfortunately don't know of any machine shops that are local to me and the closest tech school is too far to drive and have it be worth the trip.
I was just looking for parts for mine, but as it turns out it needs the part labeled as Armature Complete and the top bearing bracket/holder, both unavailable/discontinued from Sears. Let me know if you are interested. Oh, since I am new to the forum, I cannot use P.M...

·
Registered
1 Posts
315.17380 height adjusting pinion

I'd like to find a replacement height adjustment pinion for my 315.17380 crafstman router, if your damaged unit is usable. Please let me know what you want for it if it's available, and not wanted by previous poster. I'm new to the forum as well. Thanks, Mike.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
HI Guys

At one time you can't get parts for the older sears routers off ebay,,one guy sales just the parts only for almost all of them..
If you do a search on ebay I'm sure he will pop up..it's been a week or two the last time I did and he had tons of them just for the sears routers..

He has found his niche on ebay..

=========

I'd like to find a replacement height adjustment pinion for my 315.17380 crafstman router, if your damaged unit is usable. Please let me know what you want for it if it's available, and not wanted by previous poster. I'm new to the forum as well. Thanks, Mike.

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Josh... try stopping in at your local sears repair center. Don't call, stop in. Alot of times, the part may be discontinued, yet, they may have a record of it squirred away on a shelf somewhere. A good clerk will go the extra mile and attempt to run one down for you. give it a try, Its worked for me on more than one occasion..

·
Registered
3 Posts
I checked the pinion on mine, it's also worn! The rest of it seems usable (exluding the two parts I mentioned in my earlier post). It has the slotted nut and lever for locking the cutting bit that someone here was looking for. It also has the battery light, the switches work fine, etc. It does spin, but makes a loud noise - there is a copper contact plate missing from the armature part that the brushes make contact with, I don't know if this is fixable. It also has the plastic see-through shield. I am asking $12 for the unit (which is what I paid, thinking I can easily fix it), plus the shipping from zip 14624. Let me know if still interested.

Missing/damaged parts summary:

-height adjusting pinion is worn

-armature copper plate (see above description), replacement, per manual is complete armature unless you are handy

-armature top plastic bracket has a crack on one side, should be fixable w/epoxy

-one of the three screws that hold down the top plastic cover is missing, the other two are there - should be able to find a replacement.

I can provide photos if you need to see it.

Kris

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hate to hijack the thread, but do you have a seller name or id? I just looked there for sears router parts, and came up empty. I'm hunting for the same part, just a different model commercial router (I have the 315.25070)
Thanks Bob!

John

·
Registered
7 Posts
HI Guys

At one time you can't get parts for the older sears routers off ebay,,one guy sales just the parts only for almost all of them..
If you do a search on ebay I'm sure he will pop up..it's been a week or two the last time I did and he had tons of them just for the sears routers..

He has found his niche on ebay..

=========
Thanks for the info!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
joex51,
I got your PM, I cannot send back as I am new to the forums (still less than 10 responses). However, yes the collet/chuck works and it does have the locking lever. The nut that the lever locks onto is also there, as new.
To answer your other question, my goal was to have the router fixed for my workshop, but I don't think I will be able to find the complete armature part unless I break another working router. IMO these routers are decent pieces of equipment, and I would love to find a good home for it as I am not able to fix the copper plate myself. IF you think you can use it for parts for yours, let me know. You might be able to fix up my unit too and have two in working condition? As I said, I am only asking what I paid for it ($12) at a local garage sale, plus the shipping. Let me know if you want it. We can exchange emails as I cannot use PM, I can send you pics.
Regards,
Kris

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 315.17380 and am looking for the cable between the trigger handle and the motor switch (part 65) on the Sears diagram. The hard cover on my cable is broken and the trigger no longer disengages the motor switch. (i.e. the motor is always on. Sears repair has this part discontinued and I have gone to the local repair center with no liuck. I would be willing to buy the part or a non-working 315.17370 or 315.17370 for the right price. Thanks

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
I have a 315.17380 and am looking for the cable between the trigger handle and the motor switch (part 65) on the Sears diagram. The hard cover on my cable is broken and the trigger no longer disengages the motor switch. (i.e. the motor is always on. Sears repair has this part discontinued and I have gone to the local repair center with no liuck. I would be willing to buy the part or a non-working 315.17370 or 315.17370 for the right price. Thanks
Welcome to the router forum, Bob

Thank you for joining us

I hope you find what you seek..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Electrical switch 2-606583-01 for Craftsman 315.17380

Replacement electrical switch is no longer available, part no. 2-606583-01. I needed a replacement and found one that works. Shipping and minimum kills you on small orders. I purchased several extra and soldered the 2" pigtails onto the switch to make it a direct replacement.

I have several left and will sell them for $11 each first class USPS delivery included.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Need Switch for my Craftsman router

Replacement electrical switch is no longer available, part no. 2-606583-01. I needed a replacement and found one that works. Shipping and minimum kills you on small orders. I purchased several extra and soldered the 2" pigtails onto the switch to make it a direct replacement.

I have several left and will sell them for $11 each first class USPS delivery included.
Need Sears part # 2-606 583-01 (Cherry switch E62)
Sears parts led me to you
Craftsman 315.17380
Please contact me. (gdevine @devinetimes.com)
George D. Devine:laugh:
403 Coolidge Ave
Washington Township Nj 07676

1 - 20 of 48 Posts