Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got tired of re-filling those tiny little salt and pepper shakers. And I was tired of counting the holes in the top to know whether I had salt or pepper in my hand. So I made some shakers that don't hide behind the tea glass, and I can tell from across the table which is which. I started with a 1 1/4 inch square of mahogany I had lying around. I wrapped it with 3/16 inch of purple heart. Then I wrapped that with 1/2 inch of maple for salt and walnut for pepper. Turned each individually between centers on the lathe. The finished shakers are a little over 5 inches tall by 1 1/2 inch at the narrow waist. Drilled a 1 1/4 hole almost to the bottom. Finished with pure tung oil. Pressed-in shaker caps from Rockler.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
nicely done...

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
Very nice Andy

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow Andy , those are gorgeous. Wish I had that talent
First, Thanks to all for the kind words.

But Talent? I consider myself much more a technician than artist. Nothing in those turnings requires a lot of skill. If you start off with a multi-layered square, and then turn it into a variable-diameter round, you'll get those beautiful arrows at the corners of the square. Just get you a lathe and get started!

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Cool shakers!! You can make some neat looking stuff like that.

When my Great Grandfather came over from the old country 100 years ago (literally) he glued 9 squares of different shades of wood together and turned out shapes and patterns he sold as table lamps. Drilled a hole up the middle and wired up the lamp parts. Electricity was still new up north, especially in the country. As a very young kid I think I remember him using a belt driven lathe. I got a bag of his parts my aunt gave me when they cleaned her mom's (my grandmother - his daughter) stuff out when she died. I should dig those out.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Very nice use of different woods. SWMBO was inquiring about a pepper mill. Guess that is on my honeydew list now.
Me? I just get a handful of the little packets at the fast food restaurants. j/k

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Y'all!
Harry, How did you turn my photo? I wasn't able to figure how to do that.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Cool shakers!! You can make some neat looking stuff like that.

When my Great Grandfather came over from the old country 100 years ago (literally) he glued 9 squares of different shades of wood together and turned out shapes and patterns he sold as table lamps. Drilled a hole up the middle and wired up the lamp parts. Electricity was still new up north, especially in the country. As a very young kid I think I remember him using a belt driven lathe. I got a bag of his parts my aunt gave me when they cleaned her mom's (my grandmother - his daughter) stuff out when she died. I should dig those out.

Thanks for sharing.
When my dad passed away I asked the undertaker for a bag of his parts. He recoiled in horror and said " we don't do things like that". I guess I should have asked someone else.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.