Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I am hoping that someone will have some idea of where I can find bakelite knobs such as those that Pat Warner used to make my Porter-Cable trim router base. I have spent several hours trying to find something similar, but thus far, I have drawn a blank.

Drinkware Camera accessory Camera lens Office supplies Font

This image shows the width to be approximately 1-3/4 inches.

Camera accessory Camera lens Cameras & optics Lens Reflex camera

This image shows the height to be approximately 1-5/8 inches.

Any comments or suggestions will be most welcome.

Thank you!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, sir, for the links.

I will have a look at each of those and see what turns up. I probably should not be looking for something so specific, but only for a knob that will work. I think that even a round knob woiuld do so long as I could get my fingers beneath it.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Greetings,

I am hoping that someone will have some idea of where I can find bakelite knobs such as those that Pat Warner used to make my Porter-Cable trim router base. I have spent several hours trying to find something similar, but thus far, I have drawn a blank.

View attachment 401417

View attachment 401418

Thank you!
How many are you looking for? I may have a couple that might at least have the same thread pattern.
Might be a slight bit bigger. I could take a look when I get to the shop tomorrow?

Kind regards,

Tim J. Ziegler
Ziegler Woodwork & Specialty

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How many are you looking for? I may have a couple that might at least have the same thread pattern.
Might be a slight bit bigger. I could take a look when I get to the shop tomorrow?

Kind regards,

Tim J. Ziegler
Ziegler Woodwork & Specialty
That's most kind of you. I would be very happy to have two of these knobs.

If you do happen to find them, please let me know what you want for them and any S/H charges.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Off topic, if I may, but I am still shocked that Mr. Warner's family (or whomever?) chose to take his website off line. There was SO much invaluable information on his website. We could all still be learning from his rigs and router reviews. I'm glad I had the good sense to purchase his - The Router Book.

I feel very fortunate to have exchanged a few emails with him back in the day. He was always up front and to the point. Here's a sample of his sage advice in removing bits from the PC trim router:

Rectangle Font Number Screenshot Parallel

I hope St. Pete's keeping him busy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Greetings,

View attachment 401417

View attachment 401418

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
507 Posts
I tried the smooth finish knobs on my router base and found that they were too "slippery" for my liking. I finally got a round wood dowel and put the rubber cap on it (the kind that goes on the ends of walking sticks, crutches, etc. This suits me much, much better as I have more control over the router.

Ceramic Drawer Knobs "look good" - but don't function worth a hoot (for me).
Camera accessory Gas Camera Cameras & optics Camera lens

The rubber "handles" are easier to hold after your hands get a bit sweaty.
Camera accessory Cameras & optics Camera lens Liquid Scientific instrument

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@John Smith_

I really like your cane tip idea. I put those on the ends of my 1-inch pipe clamps.

Wood Line Red Garden tool Tool

I have come across these knobs which I really liked.

Peripheral Input device Automotive lighting Mouse Automotive tire

The shipping charge was above my pay scale, so I passed. These would have been perfect with 1/2-inch spacers.

I am going to find my extra cane knobs and give that a go. I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
83 Posts
That's most kind of you. I would be very happy to have two of these knobs.

If you do happen to find them, please let me know what you want for them and any S/H charges.

I found one, and know I have a couple more somewhere. dig about 2 hours worth of digging and ran out of places.
Here is a pic. of what I have though and checking with someone else.
Is that something that might work?
Table Wood Gas Button Auto part

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I found one, and know I have a couple more somewhere. dig about 2 hours worth of digging and ran out of places.
Here is a pic. of what I have though and checking with someone else.
Is that something that might work?
Tim,
I feel badly that you are spending so much time on my behalf. That said, if you do not have another matching knob then please forget about finding another. That knob would be perfect, but I feel terrible to be taking up all of your time.

I sincerely appreciate your help,
Phillip

·
Registered
83 Posts
Greetings,

View attachment 401417

View attachment 401418

Thank you!
Here is another option: WoodHaven.com carries some awesome knobs of which I have several of their Jigs
they truly are a good well made knob.
Wood Gas Rectangle Hardwood Metal

·
Registered
83 Posts
Tim,
I feel badly that you are spending so much time on my behalf. That said, if you do not have another matching knob then please forget about finding another. That knob would be perfect, but I feel terrible to be taking up all of your time.

I sincerely appreciate your help,
Phillip
Phillip no problem, just helping out a fellow woodworker. So you could use this knob I'd mail it to you no problem.
PM me your address, I can get it coming your way.
[personal data removed by moderator]
I'm sure $15.00 would cover the costs for both.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@Ziegler WoodWork & Spec.

I am looking on the Woodhaven site and searching for "knobs", "clamps" and "handles" has drawn a blank. Do you happen to have a link to the WH knobs you have?

I found this, but that is the closest I have come to knobs or handles. These would definitely work for my trimmer sub-base.

Thanks,
Phillip

·
Registered
83 Posts

I am looking on the Woodhaven site and searching for "knobs", "clamps" and "handles" has drawn a blank. Do you happen to have a link to the WH knobs you have?

I found this, but that is the closest I have come to knobs or handles. These would definitely work for my trimmer sub-base.

Thanks,
Phillip
Hey Phillip if you call direct and tell them you just need two of his knobs I'm sure he will sell them to you.
They are under new ownership now but have been real good about selling pretty much anything you would ask for.
other wise I be glad to mail you the one I have.
You just let me know if I can help I'd be happy to send it your way.

Kind regards,

Tim

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Tim,
Ok, I just sent them an email, so I will wait to hear back and get back to you.

Again, I cannot thank you sufficiently for your kindness. I need two knobs/handles for my router sub-base, so will have to pass on the one you are offering me. However, if you do come across a matching knob, let me know.

What a wild goose chase this has turned out to be. Ha!

Take care,
Phillip

1 - 20 of 30 Posts