Router Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first plunge router. I am trying to install a Kregg clamp plate in my work bench. I only need to do about 1/4" deep into the table top. The pattern bit I bought at Lowe's has a 1" cutter. The bearing does not touch the pattern when I use a 3/4" pattern. I made a pattern out of 2 x4's and its too high. I don't have a planer. My question is, "Do pattern bits come in varying lengths for the cutter?" I hope this doesn't sound stupid but This is all brand new to me. This is my first post on any forum. Bail me out please!

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
rip the 2x4 to a usable thickness with your table saw.

Edit: I just measured mine. 1 1/2 should work perfect. That would allow the bearing to ride against the side of the 2x4 and as you lower it, it will begin to cut your pattern.

Edit2: Check out the picture. That is 2ea. 3/4 inch pieces of plywood, so almost 1 1/2 inches thick. The bearing will ride against your 2x4 piece. Shouldn't be a problem. Make a couple of passes either 1/16 or 1/8th inch per pass.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
If your router bits shank is 1/4" be sure and take only a 1/16" cut per pass. The 1/4" shank bits are easier to break.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Pretty much the minimum diameter for any pattern bit is 1/2" and it necessarily comes in 1/4" shaft. To get a 1/2" shaft you have to go to a minimum 3/4" diameter and I read recently on Whiteside's website that you should expect reduced service life from the bearing due to it's size/fragility.They recommended to go up to 1" if possible to improve bearing service life.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts