Router Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
all the pattern routing that i have done utilizes templates.
so what you need to do is first of all make a template in the exact contour of your table leg.
i make my templates out of either 3/4 inch ply or 3/4 inch pine; my router has guide bushings attached to it and then it is a simple matter of adhering the template to the stock and cutting the outline.you will find more info on this in a very useful book called woodworking with the router. hope this helps a bit. cheers.

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
It's more common to use a material like 1/4" Masonite (hardboard) in template design. The easiest way to attach the template to the wood is with double sided carpet tape. Both of these are low cost items. Rough cut your wood to within a 1/4" of the template using a sabresaw. This means you have less wood to remove with your router and helps you get a smoother finish quickly. Some routers do not have provision for mounting guide bushings. In that case you use a pattern following router bit. This is an inexpensive straight cutting bit with a roller bearing on the end. Many people prefer the smooth feel of the roller bearing and use this method even if their router is equiped to use guide bushings.
Note: Right now Woodcraft has a pattern following bit on sale for $5. This is a decent quality bit with a 100% satisfaction money back guarantee. www.woodcraft.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.