Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't know my PC 5182 was so obsolete. Guess I'm showing my age (60). The last time I had it in for service in the 1980s, the variable speed control, for lack of a proper term, was burned out. The guy at the service center said it was ridiculous for PC to have put the electronic speed controller in a 3-1/4 hp router. He told me I had two options: make it a single speed (which I did) or replace the electronic controller with a mechanical one (I think I remember this right) For the money, I opted to make it a single speed. Now I wish I had chosen the mechanical speed control. I can't use the larger diameter bits that were just becoming available then. He also upgraded the collet so that it would hold the bit (I've read complaints here about the bits moving on some of the posts I found on the 5182). I thought I had a solution when I saw inline router speed controllers, but then they say not for soft start routers. I've looked in the classified and don't see another one avaialble for parts. So my question is, does anyone know of any solutions for making it a variable speed? Can I disable the soft start so I can use the inline speed control?

·
Registered
4 Posts
speed control for softstart PC 5182 router

Hi Loren,

Another old geezer here (63) trying to use his 5182. I'm new to forum and want to keep these oldies going (one active and two backups) . They may be "obsolete" but the new ones are no match for my work. I haven't found any good answer to your question but may have missed it due to inexperience.

Diabling soft start sounds like a good thought. Have you had any luck this or other?

Years ago I found a "Powerstat" variable transformer did the trick for smaller routers - but the current upgrade for a 3.25 HP 5182 seems to be a "Variac" of about $950. Way too much for my budget. But the cheaper ones I find all warn against "soft start."

I've been able to limp along by just leaving setting at 10000 RPM but even that stopped working. I had two "repaired" just now, but they didn't tell me until afterwards that PC told repairman the only way to rewire would be for full speed. I use long bits in soft material so don't want the high speed here.

Norm

I didn't know my PC 5182 was so obsolete. Guess I'm showing my age (60). The last time I had it in for service in the 1980s, the variable speed control, for lack of a proper term, was burned out. The guy at the service center said it was ridiculous for PC to have put the electronic speed controller in a 3-1/4 hp router. He told me I had two options: make it a single speed (which I did) or replace the electronic controller with a mechanical one (I think I remember this right) For the money, I opted to make it a single speed. Now I wish I had chosen the mechanical speed control. I can't use the larger diameter bits that were just becoming available then. He also upgraded the collet so that it would hold the bit (I've read complaints here about the bits moving on some of the posts I found on the 5182). I thought I had a solution when I saw inline router speed controllers, but then they say not for soft start routers. I've looked in the classified and don't see another one avaialble for parts. So my question is, does anyone know of any solutions for making it a variable speed? Can I disable the soft start so I can use the inline speed control?

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Norm

" I had two "repaired" just now "
If they did by pass the soft start device and they are running at full speed you can use the speed control box below.

Router Speed Control

You can get the 20 amp. model but it's not needed,the HF 15 amp.will do the job I use one on my 7538.

http://www.routerforums.com/attachm...331016-other-plunge-routers-skis-100_2267.jpg

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/speed_control.html

http://www.routerforums.com/general-routing/31341-porter-cable-5372-speedmatic-routing.html

===

Hi Loren,

Another old geezer here (63) trying to use his 5182. I'm new to forum and want to keep these oldies going (one active and two backups) . They may be "obsolete" but the new ones are no match for my work. I haven't found any good answer to your question but may have missed it due to inexperience.

Diabling soft start sounds like a good thought. Have you had any luck this or other?

Years ago I found a "Powerstat" variable transformer did the trick for smaller routers - but the current upgrade for a 3.25 HP 5182 seems to be a "Variac" of about $950. Way too much for my budget. But the cheaper ones I find all warn against "soft start."

I've been able to limp along by just leaving setting at 10000 RPM but even that stopped working. I had two "repaired" just now, but they didn't tell me until afterwards that PC told repairman the only way to rewire would be for full speed. I use long bits in soft material so don't want the high speed here.

Norm

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Good news, your older model routers do not have a soft start feature, just a speed control. When you turn on your router it goes right to full power. Soft start routers come slowly up to speed. Once you have disconnected the speed control with a bypass all you need is a controller that will handle the power demand: a 20 amp speed controller.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.