Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a PC7518 mounted in a table. The motor will come up to speed but when you put a load on it the speed goes down drastically. I have checked the brushes and they are in execellent shape. Any advise on other things to check?
Also, within the last 6 months or so I received an email advertising a 3 plus HP router with an external speed control(speed control mounted outside router table). I have searched the net but can not find. Is anyone aware of who sells this and any reviews of it?
Tom

·
Registered
901 Posts
Does it make a difference what speed you are using??
I believe the electronic speed control module on your router has died. My research shows that this is a common issue with the 7518. My 7518 works fine on the highest speed, but bogs down on low speed. The speed control module is available online at ereplacementparts.com, but it costs $125. Instead of repairing mine, I invested in a Triton router. Now I use the PC 7518 for bits that can spin at top speed, and the big Triton for Panel-Raising bits. You can never have too many routers.

The speed control module on the 7518 was first-generation technology and was never as good at speed control as the newer models such as the Triton.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
brushes, speed control, bearings, armature/feild in that order,,

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Does it make a difference what speed you are using??
I believe the electronic speed control module on your router has died. My research shows that this is a common issue with the 7518. My 7518 works fine on the highest speed, but bogs down on low speed. The speed control module is available online at ereplacementparts.com, but it costs $125. Instead of repairing mine, I invested in a Triton router. Now I use the PC 7518 for bits that can spin at top speed, and the big Triton for Panel-Raising bits. You can never have too many routers.

The speed control module on the 7518 was first-generation technology and was never as good at speed control as the newer models such as the Triton.
change the capacitors in your controller..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Andy. I was on the slowest speed using a raised panel bit. I will try the high with a small bit. Do you know if the router you recommended will fit a lift for the PC7518 without an adapter? I have the bench dog lift.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Thanks Andy. I was on the slowest speed using a raised panel bit. I will try the high with a small bit. Do you know if the router you recommended will fit a lift for the PC7518 without an adapter? I have the bench dog lift.
I don't know about lifts, I've never had one. But I'll bet someone will be along in a while to answer your question.

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Tom, the Triton has its own built in lift. A lower cost alternative that will fit your lift is the Portamate router motor. This router will even work with your 7518 collets.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked my router on high speed today with a 1/2" round over bit. It worked fine. I'm wondering if I can purchase an external speed control and have my router set on it's high speed and slow it down with an external speed control. Just don't know enough about this type motor.
Tom

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I checked my router on high speed today with a 1/2" round over bit. It worked fine. I'm wondering if I can purchase an external speed control and have my router set on it's high speed and slow it down with an external speed control. Just don't know enough about this type motor.
Tom
no...
you will have to remove/bypass the router's speed control for the external speed control to work...
someplace on this forum is the schematic to do that...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
see if this helps...

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
why aren't you just changing the capacitors???

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
If I am reading this correctly I need to remove the blue wire and place a jumper between the red and yellow wire.
correct...
you see thoses little red X's in the schematic???
those are telling you to cut the wires loose...
the easy way is to cut the red and yellow wires loose from the controller and then connect them to each other...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
FWIW.. this is a very common problem w/ the 7518...
there are a slew of threads covering just that here...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
correct...
you see thoses little red X's in the schematic???
those are telling you to cut the wires loose...
the easy way is to cut the red and yellow wires loose from the controller and then connect them to each other...
That sound simple enough. And the remove the blue wire?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts