Router Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i just purchased a porter cable 890 series routerwith the fixed base and plunge base. my question is with the plunge base. after adjusting the depth of cut, and tightening the depth rod locking knob, i made several cuts and realized the depth was changing. i found that the depth rod will slip if you push very hard down on the router. any one have any ideas or suggestions for this problem.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good choice on the PC 890 series. Check the pole stop rod, make sure the knob on top of the verticle shaft is all the ways down. I found on my 895 that I had to tap the knob down all the way otherwise it would give variable depths of cut. Do not hammer to hard as it will surely break and then there's trouble. There is no need to have to push down hard when making the cuts, just guide the router and maintain control. Good luck with the router!

Glenn

·
Retired Moderator
639 Posts
rabuckner said:
hi, i just purchased a porter cable 890 series routerwith the fixed base and plunge base. my question is with the plunge base. after adjusting the depth of cut, and tightening the depth rod locking knob, i made several cuts and realized the depth was changing. i found that the depth rod will slip if you push very hard down on the router. any one have any ideas or suggestions for this problem.

thanks in advance
rabuckner,

Did you make sure to lock the plunge lock lever after plunging the router to the depth stop? Make sure it is locked after you plunge the router to the depth stop or depth stop turret.

·
The Router Guys
768 Posts
rabuckner said:

thanks in advance
Remove the O-ring between the depth rod locking knob and the base should fix the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
removed the o-ring, problem fixed!! thanks alot, i bought this new router because i already own the self adjusting brand, thought maybe i now owned two.

thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts