Router Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a PC 892 set at the flea market for $50.00 and the only thing wrong with it is the switch is bad as far as I can tell. The motor turns freely and it is not one that is listed in the PC recall either. The plunge base has never touched wood I would bet because the base plate doesn't have a single scratch on it and the fixed base is relatively scratch free. It only included the router motor, fixed and plunge base and the carrying case with none of the accessories. All in all it looks brand new except for the missing accessories, but for $50.00 I can afford to gather those up and have a $200.00+ router. The switch is only 5 to 10 dollars, but I can't find anybody that has one in stock.

If anybody can lead me to one I would be very appreciative.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I just bought a PC 892 set at the flea market for $50.00 and the only thing wrong with it is the switch is bad as far as I can tell. The motor turns freely and it is not one that is listed in the PC recall either. The plunge base has never touched wood I would bet because the base plate doesn't have a single scratch on it and the fixed base is relatively scratch free. It only included the router motor, fixed and plunge base and the carrying case with none of the accessories. All in all it looks brand new except for the missing accessories, but for $50.00 I can afford to gather those up and have a $200.00+ router. The switch is only 5 to 10 dollars, but I can't find anybody that has one in stock.

If anybody can lead me to one I would be very appreciative.
Well - Here's a source:
Switch [610559-00] - $5.52 at eReplacementParts.com
Unfortunately it seems to be on factory back order with no release date. Interesting thing is the mfg is listed as deWalt.
Looks like a single pole single throw rocker. Might see if you can find something close at ACE Hardware and make it work. Should be rated at least 120V/15 amp.
Good Luck

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John...I had found that site and it is one of many that have them on back order or not in stock with no idea when they will be available. From all indications a bad switch could possibly be a natural occurrence with this router. If I ever find a source I think I will buy a couple as a safety net so to speak.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Ken

Jump the switch 1st. you can use just about any switch but if has a VS control well you are looking at big bucks..

======

Thanks John...I had found that site and it is one of many that have them on back order or not in stock with no idea when they will be available. From all indications a bad switch could possibly be a natural occurrence with this router. If I ever find a source I think I will buy a couple as a safety net so to speak.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Ken

Jump the switch 1st. you can use just about any switch but if has a VS control well you are looking at big bucks..

======
Hi Bob...The router is a VS, but the switch is a small black box approximately 1 inch long and 3/4 inch wide and deep with only 2 wires coming from it and a small plastic pin that fits into a long plastic part that runs the length of the motor and constitutes the on/off switch at the top of the router. The switches I have seen listed for it varied in price from $5.95 to $9.95. Thanks for the idea to jump it first. That could save me the hassle of changing the switch when the problem could be elsewhere.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK I jumped the switch and nothing happened so it seems as if I bought a lemon, but at $50.00 I can afford to buy a motor or sell the 2 bases and make a small profit. Actually I could more than double my money if I sold them at half of what Amazon is asking for each of them.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Well, could be a couple of other things yet. You can check the brushes, that's easy enough and I doubt they're the problem but doesn't cost anything to look. The other thing would be the VS controller. You can wire around it to isolate the problem between it and the motor. I haven't got a schematic for that router so I won't attempt to give instruction on how to do that. Really need to isolate the problem before buying a motor because a new motor is not likely to include a speed controller.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Ken, there were several problems on the 890 series routers. Have you used your serial number to search for recalls? I have had many dealings with my local DeWalt (PC) service center and they have always come through for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts