Router Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The recovery has been slow. I was updating Windows 10 Home, and something went wrong while I was in the kitchen making a sammich!

The end result was I couldn't restart the PC, or repair it or do anything, so I started over with a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro. Fortunately, I had made a backup of everything so I didn't actually lose anything.

But since I upgraded to the Pro version, some files didn't want to play right when I was recovering using the backups. And a couple of software apps are no longer available. One I have used a lot in the past is Adobe Lightroom. Version 3.6 won't download off their site. I have the serial numbers but it won't do me any good if I can get the software downloaded and installed.

Anyway, I have been off the grid for a few days, but slowly coming back. My light bill should be a little more next month because I have been burning the midnight oil.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
You'll find after major updates that Windoze will remove applications at its desecration. Seems you own the computer but MS owns the rights to do as it pleases. Older application will likely be removed and those that MS decides aren't compatible. I am running AutoCAD 2005 and after each update I hold my breath. I'm not a big fan of Windoze 10 and I always run the Pro versions but every other previous version has run out or is about to as far as support is concerned. As for Lightroom, contact Adobe support or the support forum and someone will guide you to the right place to get the download. I had to do this with Photoshop CS5.

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I will check out Adobe. support. I would like to get it back. The new versions are cloud based and I don't want that.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Not 100% certain, but I seem to remember that W10 Home is 32-bit, while W10 Pro is 64-bit. That might be causing compatibility problems with some of your applications - an app designed for 64-bit will likely not run on 32-bit, and vice versa. Some seem to run on both, although with a performance hit. Some apps may not have been updated to run on 64-bit - they would probably prefer you to run the cloud version. Even Microsoft has changed its licencing structure in the past few months.
I also seem to remember that you can choose to "downsize" from Pro to Home (but not necessarily the other way - difference in licence price).
All this seeming to remember has more to do with being in the Apple ecosystem, than with rapidly declining memory (I think).

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Biagio,

Actually there are 32 and 64 bit available in both. I always run 64 bit because my computers have a minimum of 16 GBs RAM and usually 32GBs as I do a lot of image processing and my programs will use that memory.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Thanks. I will check out Adobe. support. I would like to get it back. The new versions are cloud based and I don't want that.
That's why I still have CS5. If you make a living using the SW I have no issue with the subscription based plans but not for personal use.

·
Registered
79 Posts
While downloading programs or updates you may have to turn off your VPN - The latest version of Express VPN made it impossible to download from certain sites and a box doesn't pop up telling me it won't allow the download????????? Made me unable to sign into my bank without turning VPN off. Have to set up later. I'd keep Windows 10 PRO - much better security. I upgraded my wifes computer to Pro so I can work on her machine from mine as her's is in Chinese and I don't read Chinese - much easier to compare pages on my screens rather than going back and forth to her computer in another room. I have had no problems with older programs on mine so far. I have one business program that has been out of business since 1998 - it still works. Adobe is a bit touchier but so far has worked on mine - Adobe can help you.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
The recovery has been slow. I was updating Windows 10 Home, and something went wrong while I was in the kitchen making a sammich!

The end result was I couldn't restart the PC, or repair it or do anything, so I started over with a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro. Fortunately, I had made a backup of everything so I didn't actually lose anything.

But since I upgraded to the Pro version, some files didn't want to play right when I was recovering using the backups. And a couple of software apps are no longer available. One I have used a lot in the past is Adobe Lightroom. Version 3.6 won't download off their site. I have the serial numbers but it won't do me any good if I can get the software downloaded and installed.

Anyway, I have been off the grid for a few days, but slowly coming back. My light bill should be a little more next month because I have been burning the midnight oil.
I am not sure if this will help but I found this link to the downloads page Adobe - Lightroom : For Windows

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Hey Mike I just tried to download it for the heck of it. In google chrome it wouldn't download it just sat there but then I right clicked on the download link and pasted it in a new browser tab and it let me download it. Hope that helps.

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. That's what I found out a couple of days ago. What a quirk. I had clicked the download button several times before finally right-clicking on it and it proceeded with the download. Still not sure if I am keeping it or not.

·
Official Greeter
18,750 Posts
While downloading programs or updates you may have to turn off your VPN - The latest version of Express VPN made it impossible to download from certain sites and a box doesn't pop up telling me it won't allow the download????????? Made me unable to sign into my bank without turning VPN off. Have to set up later. I'd keep Windows 10 PRO - much better security. I upgraded my wifes computer to Pro so I can work on her machine from mine as her's is in Chinese and I don't read Chinese - much easier to compare pages on my screens rather than going back and forth to her computer in another room. I have had no problems with older programs on mine so far. I have one business program that has been out of business since 1998 - it still works. Adobe is a bit touchier but so far has worked on mine - Adobe can help you.
I have a similar issue. My mail server will not download if I have the VPN set....

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I have a similar issue. My mail server will not download if I have the VPN set....
Maybe you could whitelist or split tunnel your mail server when using the vpn. I use Surfshark VPN and I can whitelist whatever I want. Like banking sites and some things like Peacock TV and such. Just look in your VPN settings there should be a place to whitelist sites that give you problems. Some just don't like VPN's but whielisting should help. Not as secure but if it won't work with the VPN anyway it would be a way around the problem. That way you don't have to turn off the VPN and it will still work properly for regular sites. Hope that helps. This explains it. VPN split tunneling with Whitelister - Surfshark
You may have to look at your VPN's docs on how to do it with whoever you use.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts