Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone advise on what pencil sharpener you are using and are happy with? I have had several and they just don't cut it. :frown:

·
Registered
Theo
6,938 Posts
Pencil sharpener? Pencil sharpener? Don' need no steenkin' pencil sharpener.

Gave up on pencils years ago. Now all my marking is with those plastic Pentel clone mechanical pencils. Push the eraser, lead comes out the other end. Run out of lead, pull the remnant out, shake the pencil gently, push the eraser, another comes down - there are 2 or 3 leads inside. You can also buy refill leads. You can get about a dozen for around $2. Some people claim they wear out quickly, but I've never had one wear out yet, do tend to lose one once in awhile.

However, if you really insist on sharpening pencils, this is the pencil sharpener you want.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Don I use one like above without the motor. I use the LV pencils mostly buy by the1/2 dozen boxes when I place an order. Also use the same sharpener to sharpen dowels. I think I got a tapered reamer from LV that has the same taper as a standard pencil, and drill the hole with that then sharpen a dowel and put some glue on it and tap it in the hole.

Herb

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I use a mechanical pencil, a marking knife or a little short awl I made. Last wooden pencils I bought were not much good and then I asked myself "why the hell am I messing with these things?" I have a few around but since it's been mentioned I think I'll just pitch them tomorrow.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Can anyone advise on what pencil sharpener you are using and are happy with? I have had several and they just don't cut it. :frown:
Panasonic for an electric...
Bostik for manual...
but why even bother....
go mechanical...

Reactions: Shop guy

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Carpenter pencil, utility knife (or my little pocket knife)...mostly.

Home Depot used to sell a sharpener like Dan linked you to but it had a curved blade...did a great job on the carpenter pencils...can't find them anymore...that was my favorite. Here's a version of it... http://www.penimpressions.com/carpenter-pencil-sharpener.html

I also use the business end of an old awl that fell apart when marking up outside lumber or other unimportant work. And from time to time I use a nail, screw, utility knife, linoleum knife - you get the idea.

For important stuff, a .05mm mechanical is my choice of weapon...even though I break the lead every once in a while.

·
Premium Member
19,239 Posts
Found a small plastic hand sharpener that works great. When I use a pencil, I've taken to the ones you buy by the dozen, painted orange at Home depot. They are dark leaded and come to a fine point. I sharpen them often. For fine work, I use a marking knife, with kind of an arrowhead point to it. My wife has a fantastic ac powered sharpener for her art pencils, which requires I hustle into the house to use. The little sharpener that works best came with a package of oversized childrens pencils, which are about half an inch in diameter and are very readable with old eyes. I have tried mechanical pencils but find I break the lead constantly, which irritates me. My little sharpener is tied to a loop of twist tie with a small clip on it so I can hang it up in plane sight after use.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Only use .5mm mechanical pencils for woodworking nowadays. When I did use wooden pencils I used a sharpener from LV and it works well and as Herb I think stated I also have the tapered reamer that matches the taper on the sharpener.

For a carpenter's pencil I use the plastic retractable one that LV sells, also available in many other places. It also never needs sharpening.

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Found a small plastic hand sharpener that works great. When I use a pencil, I've taken to the ones you buy by the dozen, painted orange at Home depot. They are dark leaded and come to a fine point. I sharpen them often. For fine work, I use a marking knife, with kind of an arrowhead point to it. My wife has a fantastic ac powered sharpener for her art pencils, which requires I hustle into the house to use. The little sharpener that works best came with a package of oversized childrens pencils, which are about half an inch in diameter and are very readable with old eyes. I have tried mechanical pencils but find I break the lead constantly, which irritates me. My little sharpener is tied to a loop of twist tie with a small clip on it so I can hang it up in plane sight after use.
That is the reason I don't like the .005" Mech pencil, the leads are always breaking. I had a dandy little hand sharpener awhile back but can't find it now. I must have bought a dozen at the school supply dept. of the super market and none held up. still looking for one I can carry in my apron.
Carpenter pencils are too large for in the shop, Have a good supply of those.

Herb

·
Registered
32 Posts
Like sunnybob The bench grinder or a sheet of abrasive for good sharp points whatever shape is your preference

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I use a Stanley Utility knife

to sharpen a carpenters pencil
can't remember the last I used one of those but did the the same as you..

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Thanks Tom & Herb--i thought i was the only one that couldn't get along with a mechanical pencil. I've tried. One of the guys in my office has an old electric sharpener that he inherited from his brother--i think it's a Denison, probably from the 1970's and works great. When i start to run low at home, i take a dozen or so in and sharpen them on his. I've threatened to kidnap it, but can't bring myself to do so. I've got about 5 years to figure it out, in the meantime i'll keep doing what i do!!

earl

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
can't beat these...

Pentel

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I agree, Stick. You have to develop a bit of a touch not to break the leads all the time and even so it will still happen occasionally. Nice clean consistent lines.

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Pencil sharpener??

Hell, most of the time, I can't remember where I laid the pencil down let alone sharpen it *L*

1 - 20 of 43 Posts