Router Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since for the time being I'm not able to get out to the shop I need something to do, so I am going to post some photos that were taken by my brother and my nephew on a recent caribou hunt in Alaska. They were flown into a hunting camp by bush plane out of Kotzebue, Alaska which is above the artic circle.

Jerry

Attachments

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did nealize how large the files were before I began to add them to this thread so the number of photos is very limited compared to the ones in the folder, but you get the drift of what the hunt was like. I hunted out this camp in 1994 and killed a caribou with a .44 magnum revoler. We were making a video for the guide at the time for him to sent to potential clients. One of the benefits of being a video producer in Alaska.

The camp is in the Artic caribou here that consisted of over 500,000 animals at the time that I was there. I don't know what th count is now.

It was commone for grizzly bears to clean up after each kill shortly after the deed was done and the meat carried was carried out.

Jerry

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I went to Labrador in 2001 and had a great time hunting caribou. I think their meat is second only to moose in taste. Would love to go again.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Great hunt! Congratulations on a fine harvest. People aren't aware that wild game is much better for you than domestic raised meat.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really like caribou meat but I have always been told that it is short on nutrition. I'm not sure of that of course. The natives live on it along with moose of course. Moose is, as John said a bit better, it's not quite as dry.

I will tell you from experience that when you kill a moose, the work of dressing it out and getting it ready for the pack out is huge. It will cause one to think twice before wanted to kill another one.

Jerry

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Addendum- I knew a fellow who went moose hunting in Canada many years ago. Keeping it short, the moose had a solid hit but decided to go out into a lake and give it up in four feet of water. That was 4 PM. They were finished field dressing it and back in camp at 1 AM the next morning!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Addendum- I knew a fellow who went moose hunting in Canada many years ago. Keeping it short, the moose had a solid hit but decided to go out into a lake and give it up in four feet of water. That was 4 PM. They were finished field dressing it and back in camp at 1 AM the next morning!
John,

The first moose hunt I went on was while I still in the Army. I went hunting with two of my Army friends south of Anchorage. We hunted Saturday and Sunday with no luck, but as we were driving out of the area late Sunday afternoon, we spotted a small bull just off of the road about 200 yards away. The ground between the road and where the moose was sloped down not very steep but moderately so. That were cars ahead of us and beind us. The moose was in in plain sight but nobody seemed to notice it. One of my buddies rolled out of the car while I tried to find a place to pull off ot the road.

By the time I got parked, Roy, my buddy had killed the moose. When we got down to it both of my friends admitted to me that neither one of them had ever killed anything larger than a rabbit. I had taken several deer in Oregon earlier in my life so I had some idea of what to do. It was one in the morning by the time we got the last load of meat back to the car.

The car was a 55 Olds and while in the service money was always short. I had one tire on the car that was completely bald, I had bought it used for two dollars. On our drive home there were several porcupines in the road. I was actually afraid that if I hit one of those quilled critters that it might pucture that bald tire.

We made it home. I was married at that time and had a home in Anchorage living off base. We got the meat hung up and I drove the guys back to the site where we were stationed.

Now I know why the hunters in the cars on the road that evening just passed the moose up. Kinda like the story that you told about shooting the moose and having it die in the lake. Those animals, even if a young bull can be a very difficult to field dress and pack out even if the pack is a short one.

The only moose that I actually shot was at the end of a runway that had been cut out of the bush. We drove the pick up to the moose, another small bull, and hooked themoose to the truck with a chain and dragged it to the cabin that were staying in, that one was easy.

Jerry

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I really like caribou meat but I have always been told that it is short on nutrition. I'm not sure of that of course. The natives live on it along with moose of course. Moose is, as John said a bit better, it's not quite as dry.

I will tell you from experience that when you kill a moose, the work of dressing it out and getting it ready for the pack out is huge. It will cause one to think twice before wanted to kill another one.

Jerry
I've heard buffalo is far worse Jerry. Someone up near Ft. St. John, BC was raising them back around 20 years ago and they broke a fence and got out and turned wild. A few years later the province open a season on them and a buddy of mine went up and bagged one. He said he'd have to give some thought to going after another one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts