Router Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got one of these pencils for Christmas form a nephew of mine. It's not that good for layout lines but for other things like keeping up with switch side goes down or writing the name of the part it works great. The thing that makes this diferent is you can get rid of the marks with water. It's a pain to get rid of pencil marks from a regular pencil.

Pica Workshop Pencils & Markers - Lee Valley Tools

I got the bright green one.

·
Registered
Theo
6,937 Posts
Ow, a bit expensive. I use mechanical pencils, usually from Wallyworld, something like 12 for $2-3. Lose one and you don' t grieve for it. I have little or no issues with erasing pencil lines, because I have possibly the worlds best erasers.

Some years ago I got a pack of I think it was 3 or so 1/4" thick sheets of some rubbery type stuff that was supposed to great for carving rubber stamps from, can't recall the name off-hand. The stuff was lousy for carving a stamp, unless you wanted hobby stamps, with really large lettering, etc. Well, I didn't. And, somehow, got the idea of trying erasing with one. Fantastic. I have tried all types, and prices, of erasers, because I sketch a lot. Nothing I had ever tried before was even close to this stuff. Cut it all up in rectangular pieces about an inch long, gave a whole lot to my grand-daughter, and still have enough to last me thru the next two reincarnations. If I can recall the name of the stuff I'll post it.

Reactions: jj777746

·
Registered
Theo
6,937 Posts

·
Super Moderator
John
6,840 Posts
I have one Don with all the colors, you can get better prices than that
The nice thing they also write on about anything wood, metal, glass, the white is great for darker woods

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Haven't tried that one, I buy the LV pencils by the box for wood working because the lines can be erased easily. Also use the big crepe sanding belt cleaners for erasers.
Herb

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Don, for marking up parts of projects, I use chalk, sometimes called sidewalk chalk. A box is pretty cheap. Usually white but for lighter woods I use pink or some other color. Comes off easily. Not good for layout lines.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haven't tried that one, I buy the LV pencils by the box for wood working because the lines can be erased easily. Also use the big crepe sanding belt cleaners for erasers.
Herb
Herb I keep one of those LV pencils in my shop apron all the time. I didn't know what they were called but thanks to you I do now. :smile:

·
Registered
Theo
6,937 Posts
Kinda pricy isn't it Theo??? >:)
A lot more so than when I bought mine, I think I paid $3+. But the erasers figure out to very little each, and I've still got loads of them. Sure beats paying $1 or more for a 'guaranteed' eraser, then have it used up in a month, and not that great to begin with.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts

·
Super Moderator
John
6,840 Posts
Pics pencils are actually a marking pencil they have no eraser the Ones i buy can be removed with a damp rag they will mark anything.
You also get the water Proof markers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts