Router Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally after four months the planer is sitting on my tablesaw. It looks purty sitting there. It was raining so I couldn't take it outside and run a few boards through it.:frown::frown::frown:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Steve,

Don't make the mistake that I did. When I unpacked my 735 it was raining too, and I just couldn't leave it sitting there on my bench without trying it. So I picked up a short piece of 2 X 6 and ran it through the planer. It shot wood chips all the way across my little shop and they hit the wall at almost the same height as the planer. What a mess it made !!! I learned my lesson and bought the hose/barrel cover option (sadly no longer available, but you should be able to make one) and I now only use the 735 outside in the driveway. If the barrel cover stays on the blower inside the planer and this hose / cover accessory do a great job of collecting the chips (if the cover doesn't come off of the barrel DAMHIKT).

To make moving the 735 outside and back into the shop easier (the 735 has handles, but it's too heavy for safe lifting alone - but you already know this), I bought a miter saw / planer stand. Mine is a Delta, but DeWalt now sells one (DWX726) that's a little better designed than mine and similar to my Delta. The mounting rails on the top of my Delta (likely the DeWalt too) are too narrow to fit the mounting holes of the 735, so I made an adapter plate from 3/4 birch plywood, drilling holes in it to fit the rail spacing of the stand as well as the 735. I leave the 735 attached to the stand and the combination planer and stand sit on end in the corner of my shop like a hand truck. When I need to use it I wheel it out to the driveway and set the handle down on the driveway, then release the latch and lift the stand and planer into the using position. Gas springs help do the lifting, but it's still heavy. I attach the accessory hose to the planer exhaust and place the drum cover end over the top of a 55 gallon plastic barrel. A draw string like in the bottom of Winter jackets, holds the cover on the barrel and the fabric cover filters the exhaust air, keeping the chips inside the barrel.

When I am finished planning, I remove the exhaust hose, then lift the stand slightly and release the latch. The stand then folds back down into a hand truck shape and I can lift the handle and roll it back into my shop, leaving it all standing on end in the corner of the shop. The exhaust hose accessory collapses into about a foot long length and the fabric cover folds into the inside of the hose. I presently keep it in it's original cardboard box and just place the box on top of the planer, keeping everything together. Since I go in and out of my shop through a narrow door, I also remove the hand wheel and store it on top of the planer too. The T handle Allen wrench in the top of the planer fits the screw that holds the hand wheel on the shaft. I have the in and out feed tables with mine, but the stand comes with in and out feed rollers and I use these too, extending these whenever planning long boards. It's a great combination that all works very well for me. The only addition that I've made is a Wixey DRO. This is very handy, but not necessary. The preset stops on the 735 planer work quite well.

Charley

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Congrats on it finally getting there!!!!

Reactions: Daikusan

·
Premium Member
19,229 Posts
Been traveling and sick since getting mine (with the DeWalt movable stand), but it sure is a purty thing. Another trip coming next week, but after that I have some 7/4 birch to work over. I'd seen a video (Wood Whisperer) of the forceful chip ejection, so I'm ready with the DC!

Here's a video of a simple chip collector just for the 735. I think I'd substitute 4 inch hose and fittings, and glue the screen in on the underside. I like the simplicity of this setup, and it's cheap and easy to make. I'll use one of the lidless barrels from my old DC setup.

·
Registered
Theo
6,912 Posts
Yeah, I remember when I first got my planer. In my little 8X12' shop, after I got thru playing, I was knee deep in chips and shavings. But boy was it ever fun.

Reactions: MEBCWD

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
This evening was sunny so set up the planner outside. Ran a test on a piece of cherrywood blowing chips 25 feet across the driveway. I made the mistake of hooking the shop vac to it backing up the blower - blowing chips out the front of the planner. Though the cleanup was easier since most of the chips went in the vac.

I plan on making a bag that is like the DeWalt original before using it again.

I have a issue with snipe on the leading edge about 3 inches .08mm deep - just enough to feel. It stops when the board hits the second roller. The exit is fine. The input extension table is high when I rechecked it.

The cherry sure is pretty planed. Smooth as glass. Before and after pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Once you adjust the tables -- you'll cure most, if not all of the snipe issue.

Reactions: MEBCWD

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I forgot to mention, I carried the thing outside. It was not that heavy. I thought I would need to make a cart, but I now think for now Im going to pass.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
When you make the hose and barrel cover, it would be good to put a plastic pipe elbow at the outlet port of the planer as part of your hose assembly. The original accessory hose doesn't have this, and I keep telling myself to modify it, but I haven't yet. The hose is frequently catching on the leading edge of each board as they exit the planer. I have to keep lifting it to avoid the catching. Some day I'll forget and damage the hose.

Charley

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Yeah, I remember when I first got my planer. In my little 8X12' shop, after I got thru playing, I was knee deep in chips and shavings. But boy was it ever fun.
I've had my for a couple of months. Couldn't wait to try it out so I darn near froze in my garage while doing it. Like you say, I was knee deep in shavings in no time. Looks like this machine is very popular in this forum.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When you make the hose and barrel cover, it would be good to put a plastic pipe elbow at the outlet port of the planer as part of your hose assembly. The original accessory hose doesn't have this, and I keep telling myself to modify it, but I haven't yet. The hose is frequently catching on the leading edge of each board as they exit the planer. I have to keep lifting it to avoid the catching. Some day I'll forget and damage the hose.

Charley
Thanks for the reminder, I intended to get to the plumbers supply store today to get one but didn't make it. I want to say thanks for the other long post with your suggestions

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought my deWalt 735 about 7 years ago. The retailer was offering the stand as a no cost option. That was great, but as other have said there are a lot of chips. My next buy was a dust extractor! It can fill the bag quickly, so a Dust Deputy is on my wish list.

I find this tool to be one of my best investments. I have not had a significant snipe problem and the cutters have held up well. I am careful about what I put in the machine and unless it is for an outdoor project, I tend to run it at a slower feed rate.

CharleyL's tip about having an elbow at the outlet port is a great one. I am going to look for one today.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts