Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, just joined today! Glad I found this forum.
I have had a look around for advice on a particular simple frame I am about to make
The frame is a replica from a film, it needs to be reasonably accurate from a not particularly good photo!
Does anyone know where to look, for a bit that would produce this shape??

·
Registered
83 Posts
welcome to the forum, Rich - I am kinda new here myself.
what tools do you have access to ?
if that was my project, I would make all the cuts on a table saw.
what size will the frame be? are you going to make just one or a hundred ?
why the need for such accuracy in this project ? especially when you have a poor example to go by. (and, who will judge it without having something to compare it to?).
this is the way I interpret your design, which is pretty straight forward cuts.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
9,364 Posts
Welcome to the forum Rich.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Welcome aboard Rich. Not having any dimensions to work with I can see where you could use a router table and several bits to create this profile but I would say you'd need to do some experimenting. A chamfer bit could make the slanted cut depending on the angle and length and a rabbet bit for the others. This of course is still in my head so the outcome may vary.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I made a frame very similar to this with the table saw as John suggested. I wasn't trying to copy anything so I just set the angle to whatever looked good. I made the frame out of a 2x4. I did a fancy edge on the inside only for looks but it would have been quicker just to leave it square. I always save a sample of what I cut in case I ever want to duplicate it.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
why the need for such accuracy in this project ? especially when you have a poor example to go by. (and, who will judge it without having something to compare it to?).

View attachment 398435
Hi John, thanks for the welcome!
I have orders for 11, so will probably end up making about 25,
They will be about 9" long, I haven't analysed the film yet, but it looks about that size
The frame profile I have drawn is jus a best guess from the film still.
The film replica people analyse quite closely! then tell everyone else, then more orders come in... or not.
I have a small table saw, table router, and a large laser cutter.

I have just made twenty odd of another frame (below) but that was easy, as it was square profile and all I needed to do was to route the rebate for glass etc.

Hope this makes more sense!
PIC.jpg
IMG_1231.jpg

View attachment 398435

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That sloping outside edge of your frame is just about what I am trying to do... only on the inside, I'll try what you and John suggests on the table saw, thanks!

I made a frame very similar to this with the table saw as John suggested. I wasn't trying to copy anything so I just set the angle to whatever looked good. I made the frame out of a 2x4. I did a fancy edge on the inside only for looks but it would have been quicker just to leave it square. I always save a sample of what I cut in case I ever want to duplicate it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Welcome to the forum Rich. I would do like John said, cut it on the table saw. I would cut the base section then cut a separate piece for the bevel and glue this on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome aboard Rich. Not having any dimensions to work with I can see where you could use a router table and several bits to create this profile but I would say you'd need to do some experimenting. A chamfer bit could make the slanted cut depending on the angle and length and a rabbet bit for the others. This of course is still in my head so the outcome may vary.
Yes, I was thinking it would take a couple of routers to get the main profile, although I was rather hoping, as I am new to routering, someone would come up with a magic bit that would do the outside in one go!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I would use the table saw and a router table with multiple bits. I have made many picture frames over time. Just make sure you cut all of the mouldings at the same time so the profiles match. I always make some extra pieces so incase you make a mistake.

·
Premium Member
19,973 Posts
I make frames for my wife's artwork. I made a frame with a similar profile and did it all with a table saw. I drew the profile on the end of a pine board I used, then used that to set blade height. Make enough stock for 20 frames, making one cut in each. The reset for the second cut. Repeat for a total of four cuts. Cut the face side first. If there is any warping in your stock, cut it off, Warped frame pieces don't fit together right.

If you're using pine, don't over sand because the soft parts will sand faster than the hard veins and it will look woody. I usually sand no finer than 220 grit, on a block that's flat. Use a sanding sealer. Although I occasionally use pine for frames, I prefer hard woods, and my best looking frames were made from Cherry or Maple.

The dimension of the picture determines frame size. The rabbet should be a fairly tight fit to the framed material. Glass just requires a slightly deeper rabbet. I can cut glass OK, but for 302=--

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Yes, a Shaker Style panel raising bit would cut the face shape quite well, if you really want to use a router and router table. The result would be cleaner this way, requiring less sanding, but the last time that I bought a Freud bit for this profile it cost me about $100. The rabbet for the glass can be cut with a straight bit or a mortising bit. Going with the router bits, you could get the shape desired in two passes with a router in a table, or 4 passes on a table saw using just a standard or glue line rip type blade. Feather boards would help maintain a smooth profile using either method.

Charley

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm still trying to understand "who" would watch for movie props and then actually want a replica of it?
and, only submit a clip shot and want someone to make the replica as accurately as possible.
and another "who" would they impress by saying: ohhhh I have a replica of the picture frame in such-and-such movie. you remember, THAT one !! oh yeah.
and - "how" did you find these people ??? and, how much moola do 'these people" pay for one ?
(maybe I need to get out more)

·
Premium Member
19,973 Posts
I'm still trying to understand "who" would watch for movie props and then actually want a replica of it?
and, only submit a clip shot and want someone to make the replica as accurately as possible.
and another "who" would they impress by saying: ohhhh I have a replica of the picture frame in such-and-such movie. you remember, THAT one !! oh yeah.
and - "how" did you find these people ??? and, how much moola do 'these people" pay for one ?
But if you get out more, I guess you should wear a mask. It amazes me how many people are into such things. In Japan, many of their pastimes are ephemeral, fan stuff, make believe. That may be because of the crowding there. But we're not crowded and more and more of our entertainments are electronic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hah! My exact thoughts John! When someone approached me asking if I could make a box for them and it needed to look like a box in a photo, I made him one then he came back to me saying he knew of a few more people who wants me to make one for them too.

I then asked what the significance of this box was, he replied, this box is a film prop replica and many people collect such things, this was news to me, eventually and somewhat reluctantly, he sent me a photo of his collection room and it looked like a museum!

Lego Germany want to exhibit his collection when things get back to normal!

I have since found out the collectors of fake stuff are astonishingly prolific but don't really make their passions public... for obvious reasons!

Photo frames, small wooden shelf/filing units, door signs, plaques, are a few of the things I have made for them, I now enjoy the detective work and making these strange things for strange people!

Just about to start cutting an experimental frame on he table saw.

·
Registered
83 Posts
well well well now - that clears it all up.
I know the "groupies" of star trek and harry potter have no limits as to their collections.
glad it is working for you !!

·
Registered
83 Posts
DR Tom - I got my J&J vax 3 weeks ago but still don't have the confidence to let my guards down.
it may take years for any of us to be 100% back to normal

John

1 - 20 of 25 Posts