Router Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
A sharp eyed film aficionado might note that on the inner edge there's a rounded bead laying proud of the flat angled front surface.

One might want to route the bead first before adding the angled cut to the front and rabbit on the back. beed.jpg

·
Registered
133 Posts
My first look suggested the bead on the inside as well. Might be a little more practical to consider building up the profile from separate pieces rather than trying to route it out of one piece, - rebated base section with separate bead and angled sections glued on and pinned in place from behind.

Beaded section could be machined into base section before the rebate is machined, but would make the the base piece a three pass section, bead, then reduce thickness to base level for the foundation for the angled section, then rebate the back. Avoids glueing the bead accurately, but potentially complicates machining.

Depending on required finish, you would possibly need similar grain etc for all of the components, and to do a big batch you would need good long straight grained material which ever way you go, so you can make the moulding in long lengths and cut segments to length to ensure best match at the mitre joints. Assembling individual segments will make it hard to get a decent profile match at the mitres.

Commercially, the profile would probably be made in a single pass through a spindle moulder or similar with a custom set of cutters that do everything except the rebate (i.e. forms the entire profile shape, width and thickness in a single pass) in lengths of 8-12 feet. The rebate would be a separate pass.

Hope this helps explain the methodology.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
A sharp eyed film aficionado might note that on the inner edge there's a rounded bead laying proud of the flat angled front surface.

One might want to route the bead first before adding the angled cut to the front and rabbit on the back. View attachment 398459 View attachment 398459
Oh yes, that is a rounded bead, I guess I was hoping it wasn't! Oh well, a bit more work! Still, I like a challenge.
My first thoughts of, "Oh that'll be easy" are clearly wrong!!

·
Official Greeter
Ross
9,535 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,079 Posts
DR Tom - I got my J&J vax 3 weeks ago but still don't have the confidence to let my guards down.
it may take years for any of us to be 100% back to normal

John
I think you're right about it taking some time to get fully back to normal, Our senior club shut down a little more than a year ago, and we're about to start up again this coming week. But I think that many people are hungry for human contact. My son in law and his father both died from the covid infection a few weeks ago, so I think families are wanting to get together.

I think the virus was an experiment by the Chinese in germ warfare, and when you look at the damage it did in deaths, and to the economy, I'd say we ought never to do any business with that rogue nation.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts