Router Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to make a bunch of art frames for my wife and family. I am in search of a router bit or a series of simpler cuts that will produce a nice profile picture frame molding. The pictures I have in mind are about 24x30 - I am thinking of a finished frame 1 1/2" - 2" wide. I can handle the rabbet for the glass, matting, art, and backing.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
CMT makes a classic molding bit that is almost 2 inches wide. I use it at diffrent hights and distance from the fence to come up with dozens of profile combinations. You can use the whole bit for a nice profile on 2 inch stock. I recogmend if you use the whole bit not to do it one pass. Take a little at a time. It is quit a bit of wood to remove at one pass.

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Rockler sells a couple of special profile bits that can be used for all sorts of different combinations.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
This is a OLD post but if anyone is looking for a bit to make picture frames this one works great.. :)

Picture Frame Rabbet Bits

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shop...pages/bit_picture_frame.html#pfram_rab_anchor

I recommend part #8623

The front of the picture frame can be just about any router bit you have or want to use..

=========

ryansdad323 said:
I need to make a bunch of art frames for my wife and family. I am in search of a router bit or a series of simpler cuts that will produce a nice profile picture frame molding. The pictures I have in mind are about 24x30 - I am thinking of a finished frame 1 1/2" - 2" wide. I can handle the rabbet for the glass, matting, art, and backing.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
CMT makes a classic molding bit that is almost 2 inches wide. I use it at diffrent hights and distance from the fence to come up with dozens of profile combinations. You can use the whole bit for a nice profile on 2 inch stock. I recogmend if you use the whole bit not to do it one pass. Take a little at a time. It is quit a bit of wood to remove at one pass.
dvcdSV

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.