Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Nice Frames, Stan,,, you posted this just in time... I am taking a framing and matting class at work, near the end of this month and will have a lot of paintings to frame,, I may try your inlay method for some of them,,,, thanks

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Terry,
That sounds like a very useful class. If you would, please update here with any tips and tricks you learn at the class that would be useful for all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Snowshoe said:
Here is a link to one of my gallery pages that goes through the steps I use in making inlaid picture frames.

http://bt3gallery.fhauto.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=FrameSteps&page=1

Hopefully this might help someone in their frame building. I would like to hear from others that may have 'better ideas' also.
Stan
Nice frames! you make it look so easy. I was wondering if you would tell me what profile bit size and shape you are using to make the outside and inside profile. I am going to make some of these frames and need all the help I can get. Do you just glue the corners or use a biscut/spline to reinforce.
Thanks
Dean

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
deanj said:
Stan
Nice frames! you make it look so easy. I was wondering if you would tell me what profile bit size and shape you are using to make the outside and inside profile. I am going to make some of these frames and need all the help I can get. Do you just glue the corners or use a biscut/spline to reinforce.
Thanks
Dean
Dean,

Here is a picture of the bit that I used for that set of frames.

Although I'd probably just use a 3/8" or 1/2" roundover bit for most of the stuff if I had one. I'd just use whatever bits I had handy and go from there. :)

The corners are splined to give additional surface gluing area as you can see in this picture.
I didn't like the finish on one of the frames so started giving it the '4 foot drop test'... Basically dropping it from shoulder height onto one of the corners on a carpeted floor. It lasted 42 times before a corner finally split apart.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I went to the gallery and viewed your process. You have refined it to an art. I was looking to make some frames, and I think that I have learned quite a bit from your gallery. Thanks for the info and the link.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rh111, thanks for the comments. It's an ongoing learning process getting the frames (especially the miters) to come out consistent. I learn something new almost every time I make a new batch of frames. :confused:

I'll be updating the gallery the next time I run a batch as there are some additional hints that may help others -- and I'm still looking for suggestions if anyone else has anything to throw into the mix. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
snowshoe
i visited your site & really learned quite a bit. i have never made anything with a router
& the step by step process really helped me. now i have an idea of how to at least give it a try. this board is really helpful to me especially for ideas & projects that have been made. i have the PC 6931 combo unit & i see now that it is not very powerful
but i figure it is good enough 4 me to try some stuff.i like the idea of people showing how to do different things & do's & dont's especially the safety tips. awesome board
people & keep up the good work.
les

·
Community Founder
6,782 Posts
Oh wow, those are some impressive frames. Very nice job Stan.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts