Router Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to make my own picture frames as it does not look to hard and they are so expensive. Anyone that could recomend a good easy to use router to get me started that would be great.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
You are bound to get answers from the US and Canada, well intentioned but pay attention to the answers from Oz.

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
Hello.....

Looking to make my own picture frames as it does not look to hard and they are so expensive. Anyone that could recomend a good easy to use router to get me started that would be great.
If you could tell us a little bit about your experience in wood working and what tools you already have, it will help to guide you.

How many frames do you intend to make. Do you have a timber picked out?

What is your budget? A good router can cost up to $600.

This is just a guide, not my recommendation:

http://www.masters.com.au/masters/s...Hash=fc99e05db90f3fd2a831e8299a31c2fef7f79942

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi routergirl3,

welcome to the forum :)

I agree with James: a little more information about yourself and your background would probably make it easier for us to give you better suited advise (Hint: feed these infos into your profile, too....).

In addition to James' questions - what style of frames are you looking for? More plain ones, or with fancy mouldings?

Have a look into the various sections of this forum, read the sticky threads - and you'll soon get a good feeling, of what techniques and add-ons "feel good" for you - these are then probably the ones you should look further into first.

And foremost: have fun and be safe when wood working :)

Martin

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Welcome Routergirl. I've made several picture frames using wainscot base. In the US it already has a 5/16" deep rabbet (recess or rebate) on the back to accept the wainscot, so all I have to do (on a table saw) is rip off part of the lip then rip the width down to what I want, usually about 2". Cut the corners to 45 degrees, which could be done using a manual miter guide, I use a power miter saw. Use a strap or band clamp to assemble.

Of course, as James pointed out--with the tools costing what they do, if you don't already own them...you could buy a lot of frames!!

earl

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
Triton is on the list......

What? No Triton?
Hi Ralph,

Not yet.

I would like to know what budget the OP has. The post was just to indicate the various types/costs of routers you could buy in Australia from the "big box" stores.

I could recommend a Festool if the OP has unlimited funds and wants to go into full time production.......:yes4:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought my first router a few weeks ago for the express purpose of making picture frames. I really can't make a recommendation though since I really don't have much experience with it. I'll let the other guys guide you. There's a lot of good advice here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts