Router Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm Sean from Canada. I am new to the Forum and hope to be a a helpful to some and also hope you don't mind I will have questions too.

Currently I am trying to create a picture frame for my daughter's art work. She is extremely talented and would blow you away. Once I am finished I'll get her permission to post it on here and you can see for yourself. I've even mentioned to her on several occasions that we should open up an Art Gallery/Cafe.

So if anyone out there has any ideas or thoughts and techniques on how to make a frame would be appreciated. Looking for Picture Frame and Joinery as well as the actual picture back board. What to use and how to construct.

Thanks ahead of time for you replies...

Sean
3rwoodart

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
I posted a art frame I made and showed the process along with strectching the canvas.

Do a search for my post to check it out.

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
G'day Sean.

Welcome to the router forum.

Thank you for joining us

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi all, I'm Sean from Canada. I am new to the Forum and hope to be a a helpful to some and also hope you don't mind I will have questions too.

Currently I am trying to create a picture frame for my daughter's art work. She is extremely talented and would blow you away. Once I am finished I'll get her permission to post it on here and you can see for yourself. I've even mentioned to her on several occasions that we should open up an Art Gallery/Cafe.

So if anyone out there has any ideas or thoughts and techniques on how to make a frame would be appreciated. Looking for Picture Frame and Joinery as well as the actual picture back board. What to use and how to construct.

Thanks ahead of time for you replies...

Sean
3rwoodart

Sean, looking at your work and seeing what you have done with cutting angles you definitely have no problems mastering frame making. You have definitely come to the right place. This bunch of craftsmen can help.
That wishing well, did you have plans for it or did you just use your imagination ? I sure would like to make my neighbors jealous.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Sean I agree with Gene you have the talent to make frames. I assume you want to make the molding too so in that case you need some nice bits and a router table. The table isn't a must but it will make it easier. If you are going to use a table then use feather boards too. Make the rabbet in the back of the frame first then cut the frame to the size of the finished picture. If the picture is to be oil on canvas that will influence how thick the frame material needs to be because the rabbet shouldn't be to shallow. When cutting the frame to size use a stop block and a very accurate gauge or sled. Miter clamps help when assembling the frame and an 18 gauge brad nailer is almost a must on smaller frames.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hello Sean from a fellow Canadian. Nice craftsmanship in your work.The lighthouse makes me think you maybe Nova Scotian,If so your daughter is in good company with the many talented artisans from that area.
I will be checking back to view her work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Sean, I am Bill Reed from Houston, Texas. Great work! I am particularily interested in the Lighthouse. Been planing to make one for a long time but too many other projects in the way. What are you using for the light? Would you be interested in sharing the plans (sketches or whatever)? You do nice work. Hang in there.

My e-mail is: [email protected]

·
Registered
117 Posts
Those projects prove you have the talent to make any frame you envision. The art should dictate the style of the frame. The jointery will be dictated by the style. Mitered mortise and tenon, mortise and tenon, splined mitered corners, laped joints are just some possibilities. Just don't let the frame detract from the art.

Looking forward to seeing the artwork and the frames for it.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I have made several frames and they are easir than Ya think, You do have the talent looking at Your nice work... I make some with 45 degree cuts and others with lap joints,also some lap joints with dowels in the corners for diffrent looks if using glass small pieces (up to 2'x3') are relatively cheap and routing about a 1/4" groove and then a 3/16" otside of that and screw a sheet of luan plywood will help hold frame together as well as hold glass snuggly in frame .... Right now I am working on a frame that will hold a map of Louisiana that measures 53 1/4"x 60" and will hang in the District Attorneys office and it is lap joint with 3/8" oak dowels in the corner cuts looks pretty cool ....Good Luck

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Beautiful jobs, my friend and nice daugther, too.

According to the forum´s rules the new members need at least 10 post to attach pictures but your first one allowed to us to know about your skils. Keep posting!!!

Happy new year for all of us!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts