Router Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

You cant take out what you don't put in eh? So as promised a month or two ago as I was researching my design for the drill press i was about to make, here are the images of what I ended up building.
Stability was rated as important by both all the threads I read on the topic and from my own perspective. So I went for two sheets of 19mm / 3/4 inch furniture quality ply wood.

Size is always a tricky question, especially in my very small shop. I ended up going for the dimensions of 610mm wide by 460mm deep. I cut a semi circular recess in the back of the board to accommodate the drills stand ensuring that I still had easy and un-compromised access to the winder handle for the drill press.

The use of all of the Incra T-Tracks, rules and stops and hold downs was consistent with my Router table fittings so I can use and swap the hold downs and stops across both tools as needed. Here in Germany, we are not so well off in having a local Home Depot to pop down to that has all of this gear. Internet shopping would have had to be my choice and so I figured stick to what I know and get Incra stuff from the local distributor and in some cases from the USA.

Mounting the table to the Drill press was both simple and tricky. My drill press has four diagonal T-slots in the cast iron drill table so it was a matter of locating where the slots were in respect of the overall table and then drilling the two holes counter-bored for the 10mm coach bolts to secure it. If I need to remove the table, then its an easy process of just undoing the two bolts with a socket and bingo its off.

I have a square sacrificial piece of 6mm ply offset to the drills centre so that I can flip it front to back and of course over to give me plenty of room to use the maximum amount of space on the sacrificial board.

I would like any tips on how to finish it? Obviously it needs a varnish of some kind. I have also read of applying a a wax finish to the top for ease of movement of pieces being drilled as well. Tips gratefully received.

OK Hope these pics hels someone else out there about to head down a similar road.

Warm Munich regards to all

Rhett

Attachments

·
Registered
310 Posts
Sharp(nice) looking rig.

I'd just coat it with shellac, quick to dry, several coats with quick sanding to smooth out, easy to refinish.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Nice job

1 - 6 of 6 Posts