Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's too pretty to be inside today. So I went outside and found a piece of Cedar. No plans.....but this evolved from somewhere.

Felt good to get out and make something......

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Nice Frank, very nice. It seems like only yesterday you started on this sign making journey.... y'all come a long ways!! :)

Curious, how did you do "The Duke"? That's nice!!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the compliment. It has been a fun journey.

I had printed his picture a while back. So I sprayed the back with glue and put it on the board. After it dried I used my Whiteside SC50 bit and carved through the paper.

Reactions: BobbyLee

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Nice Frank, very nice. It seems like only yesterday you started on this sign making journey.... y'all come a long ways!! :)

Curious, how did you do "The Duke"? That's nice!!
was thinking exactly the sane thing..
except for the piddling...
just wondered who got the clean up detail...

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Great job Frank. I like the way the board is uneven on the end. That western cedar is so expensive here I can't use it. For a 1X8X10 foot board at Home Depot the price is $26.00 plus tax which is 9 3/4%. I had to buy some the other day and barely got enough for my project. It was twisted and bowed and cupped. I talked the with the store manager and he said they would do better. I went back a few days later and I couldn't believe my eyes he did what he said he would do. :surprise: :smile:

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
More Where That Came From

Great job Frank. I like the way the board is uneven on the end. That western cedar is so expensive here I can't use it. For a 1X8X10 foot board at Home Depot the price is $26.00 plus tax which is 9 3/4%. I had to buy some the other day and barely got enough for my project. It was twisted and bowed and cupped. I talked the with the store manager and he said they would do better. I went back a few days later and I couldn't believe my eyes he did what he said he would do. :surprise: :smile:
Yikes! I just got back from the wood waste (recycler) where I dumped a trailer full of Cedar fence boards...surface weathered but perfectly fine for crafty type projects.
It's about $.50Cdn per lin. ft of full 1x6 rough (freshly sawn and WET!) at the mill near me.
It cost me $15 to dump 150kg of old stuff.
They grind it up into hog fuel.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
hog fuel???

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Holy smokes, that's nearly $4.00 (US) a board foot plus your taxes. And for lousy cedar at that.

I'm presently paying $1.50 Cdn (slightly over $1.10 US) a board foot for some very nice cedar in long lengths, up to 20'. Much better than fence grade! :smile:

It really is hard to believe some of the lumber prices these days.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

Attachments

·
Official Greeter
18,753 Posts
Nice, Frank.

Good 'spur of the minute' job....

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Herb! This one really just kind of happened.....I didn't plan to make anything today.

It was such a beautiful day I just had to be outside. So I strolled out to my shed. I thought about cleaning it up.....but then I saw a piece of wood and thought, dang I could make a sign instead. Next thing I knew, I was looking through some prints I had and the "Duke" just jumped out at me. I've never really tried to carve a face before so I thought today was as good as any other day to try.

Next thing I knew, I had glued the print to the board. So while it was drying I got out my gear, set it up and prepared to make some dust. I looked around and saw my wife sitting in a lawn chair watching me. She normally just "checks in on me" but today she decided to "watch me" for a change. First time for me to have a "gallery". She stayed longer than I thought she would.....and it was nice to have her there looking over my shoulder.

Anyway, before I knew what was happening, I was carving the "Duke" into the board. Then I retrieved my layout letters, set them in place, painted them, and soon was carving the words.

So I went back in the shed for the jig saw and angle grinder. I cut the board's ends and then gouged the roughness into the edges with the angle grinder. The paint was applied, the board sanded, sealed and a hanging cord added. All told, I was at it for about two hours or so.

It was an absolutely fantastic, calming day......which I needed after a particularly rough week.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks BobbyLee.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts