Router Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need to make hundreds if not thousands of small parts that have curves. these will be around 2 inches wide x 3 inches long x 1/2 to 1 inch thick. is a smaller, modern pin router the way to do this? what brands or models would you suggest? and do these just use a normal router and the regular bits?
cordially
kevin yardley
diamond teak
215 453 2196

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
i need to make hundreds if not thousands of small parts that have curves. these will be around 2 inches wide x 3 inches long x 1/2 to 1 inch thick. is a smaller, modern pin router the way to do this? what brands or models would you suggest? and do these just use a normal router and the regular bits?
cordially
kevin yardley
diamond teak
215 453 2196
Hi Kevin:

I'll expound on one method but I hope others will add their opinions and experiences. This response is intended to push this topic back up the stack.

Take a 2"x3"x36" stick and using a router table, mold the curves in the length where you want. Then use a mitre saw to slice each piece off the stick. You may need to make a fixture to support the stick while cutting. A band saw would burn up less wood but a mitre saw would be quicker.

It would help if you could post some pictures so we could have a better idea of what you want (after your 10 postings)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
these are wooden gun grips. i need to make a lot of these from very hard woods. and they are pretty small. a fellow who used to have some giant old pin routers told me this was the way to go. and that i could remove the material in a couple of steps. i may have a harvard degree. that doesn't mean i am smart!
cordially
kevin

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A picture or two would be nice, you can post pictures right off the bat, so to say you don't need 10 posting to do so.:)

========
here's a picture of what i am trying to do. these blanks are at most 4 inches long x 2.5 inches wide x 1.5 inches thick. and they have lots of curves!
cordially
kevin

Attachments

·
Registered
777 Posts
If you are making thousands of them, I would buy a small cnc router.
If it's hundreds, then probably making templates to use with your pin router is ok.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Kevin

If you have that many to make I would job them out, many on the
CarveWright Users' Forum - Powered by vBulletin have made guns, you will see them on the forum in the gallery, many on the forum will take the job on...I'm sure..

======

here's a picture of what i am trying to do. these blanks are at most 4 inches long x 2.5 inches wide x 1.5 inches thick. and they have lots of curves!
cordially
kevin

·
Registered
127 Posts
You are in luck. The fact that they have screw holes in them makes it a little easier. I have an old RL Carter pin router (OWWM - Photo Index - R. L. Carter Co., Inc. - ORS5A-1) that can use a newer router motor. There are a few pin routers out there that are larger, but don't use stock routers, and there are a few available like Shopsmith, that are lighter weight and use stock routers. You can run two small bolts through your pattern, the pattern board w/ handles, and your stock. Plunge a little each time you go around the pattern until complete. The insides can be done the same way.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
to all the old timers

I'm having trouble trying to figure out the difference between the function of a pin router and a table mounted bit with a bearing on top. Both function with templates. However, you have to remember there is a substantial difference between a pin router and a pneumatic overarm router. The pin router and the bearing work in two dimensions whereas the pneumatic overarm will work, freehand, in three dimensions but not with a template.

I would reason that a template with a bearing on a flush trim bit would be more effective in small numbers, but I have to agree with Gav and others that large numbers would require a CNC machine.

Whatever you decide to work with, you're going to have to develop a process to develop the most proficient production with the highest quality product. That is the part I find most interesting.

Enjoy and keep us posted on your progress and methods.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts