Router Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search on planing end grain cutting boards on a planer. There are equal amounts of folks doing it and against it.
I found a good video that shows the safe way to plane end grain cutting boards on a thickness planer.
This fellow has done thousands of them and stresses certain procedures to do it safely.

If you are going to use this technique,I recommend that you watch this U-Tube video and follow the safe techniques shown for your own safety.
It is 12 min long but worth saving your machine and yourself.

Don't Hurry and work patiently,

Herb

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
thanks Herb...
I won't be diagonally feeding any more..

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Thanks herb. Lots of good tips there.

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Very interesting and informative video and comments on the Wood Whisperer site. Appreciate your presenting both sides of the story Herb.

What about using a drum sander instead?

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very interesting and informative video and comments on the Wood Whisperer site. Appreciate your presenting both sides of the story Herb.

What about using a drum sander instead?
Yep, that is the way I do it.
To me planing end grain is like climb cutting on a router table and feeding boards into the table saw from the back. Yes you can do it, but ........

Herb

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Yep, that is the way I do it.
To me planing end grain is like climb cutting on a router table and feeding boards into the table saw from the back. Yes you can do it, but ........

Herb
Good to hear. I don't currently own one but neighbor does and we've used it successfully to prep the slabs made from my cut off bin that subsequently became boxes (see previous posts).

Because those slabs were glued up from the cut off bin they featured a combination of pieces oriented as to end, side and top grains as well as thicknesses. Once we had them uniform I then used a finish sander on the final pass.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts