Router Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For dust an chip control, been using a shop vac attached to my planer. However, I noticed a slight problem with this setup. The hose will "plug" after several minutes of use. Other than going to a true dust collection system, what other options do you suggest?
This planer does have a bag that slips over a bucket or barrel but that just doesn't work to well.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Hamlin said:
For dust an chip control, been using a shop vac attached to my planer. However, I noticed a slight problem with this setup. The hose will "plug" after several minutes of use. Other than going to a true dust collection system, what other options do you suggest?
This planer does have a bag that slips over a bucket or barrel but that just doesn't work to well.

Hello Hamlin,

I do not have a DC but use my Large Ridgid Vac with a Veritas® Cyclone Lids which is "C" on a 35 gallon Plastic trash can. I went the route for a little while with my large vac but it filled up way to quickly. Now that I use the Cyclone lid I can do all of my planing with out having to empty the trash can. I have gone through 5 trashcan of Planing with out having to empty my vac container. Usually I have to clean the filter once while planing but it depends on how much I have to do. It sometimes is a pain to move around but I am getting used to it. I am space limited and use this on all of my tools that is set up for Dust collection.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I have a dust collector but I too use the 35 gallon trash can with some brand of lid... the heavy stuff drops out in the can and the can is easier to empty... I use a metal can and no bags. I have never hooked the shop vac to it but it should work the same way.

You can try to keep the hose to pickup distance as short as possible, that too should help.

Ed

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Hamlin,
If the problem is the hose itself getting plugged up and you've got the "standard" shop-vac type hose with the wrinkles inside (duhhhh, I can't think what that's called right now), you can get upgraded vacume hose that has smooth inside walls - it's helped me with keeping larger chips from getting stuck and creating a jam.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many thanks everyone.
I'll be looking for a new hose this weekend. I'm too cheap to get a true dust collection system and, space limited is an understatement.
Again, many thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.