Router Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to do a display case to hold the top of my daughters wedding cake. I am looking at a 10" high by 8 x 8 wood frame with glass "windows" on all 4 sides. Can anyone help with plans and directions for the case? How do I put together and mount glass and keep it even? Is it best to dado for the 4 sides to hold the glass or do I rabbit it into the sides? Do I build the case, then make the 'glass insert system" or is it best to do the dado for the glass before I put it together and how? I have the top & bottom figured but really need help with planning the sides. Thank you and have a good day
Wayne

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
You didn't specify what type of wood you are planning on using. I built a bird feeder out of red oak. A similar type of construction may work for you. The nice thing about this method is the saw blade is exactly the right size for slots that fit 1/8" glass. Your saw blade may vary, so test fit the glass.
Start with a piece of 1" x 2" x length of the 4 side's added together plus allowance for cut's. Set your tablesaw to a 45 degree angle and knock off a corner. Flip the workpiece and knock the corner off the other side. Lower your blade so 3/16" is above the table. Cut a groove, flip the workpiece and repeat. Cut to length. I added a quick hand sketch to give you the idea. Flip the top upside down and center your 4 corner posts with the glass set into the grooves. Place a couple big rubber bands around the pieces to hold them together. Mark the locations onto the top. Apply a drop of glue to each corner, set your sides onto the glue and place a board with some added weight on top to act as a clamp. When that dries you can flip everything and mark your base for the corner post locations. Screw the bottom to the corner posts to allow access for changing the glass or to place an object inside. I left a 1/4" flat surface on the outside ends of my corner posts and it came out looking great. Hope this helps.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I have never seen a case for the top of the wedding cake, it sound like an interesting idea. Have you seen one or did you think this idea up? I have a wedding in the family this coming summer and I might be interested in building something.... I have more time then money, and it might be a fun project.

Now for a couple of thoughts, from experience, and you know Murphy. What if for some unknown reason the glass were to break. How would you repair it?

I once built a mantel clock, it has a neat top that opens and let you put music box disks in… Anyway, before I got the project completed I managed to drop it! (The good news was it was just dry from the finishing room and the movements were not in place.) The point here is that the glass was not in place either because it was easier to finish without it. I had decided to use a rabbet and strips to secure the glass.

Please keep us posted, maybe some pictures?????

Ed

1 - 3 of 3 Posts