Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still a work in progress, I am making this 10" plant stand for my wife.. I designed the legs and made a template for them.. After rough cutting them out of clear pine, I carpet taped them all together with the template, and trimmed them to size on the router table.. The center is a hexagon that I cut out on the bandsaw, and I'm using 1/4" dowels to attach the legs to it.. It will be stained using minwax cherry after the sanding is done..

Attachments

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Looks sharp Mike. Are you planning on making some out of other woods? What size lumber did you use for the legs?

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys..
I used 1x6 lumber and had to glue what I cut out of the top edges, to the bottom of the legs.. It would have worked better with a 1x8 board, but I had the other on hand.. Total width of the legs is 7"..
I was planning on using cherry, but wanted to make this one as a test for technique and assembly.. I have heard stories of cherry warping when it's cut because of the stresses in the wood, so I'm a bit leery of it..

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Mike, one thing is certain: Any wood can and will move. You can run across hidden stresses in any type and I have never heard that cherry was any worse than others. I have some Brazilian cherry I am willing to gamble with. Perhaps I can get you to duplicate your pattern for me? I will private message you about this.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finished product

Here it is with a plant..
I gave it a good staining of cherry to bring it fairly dark, then a couple coats of polyurethane on it..
Just in time for early Valentines day..

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Size-Height

Mike,

LOML likes your plant stand. She has asked me to build her one but so far have not found one that we like. What is the height of it? Are you willing to share the pattern for the legs?

Thanks,

Dolan

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I can probably come up with plans for it easy enough.. Maybe scan the template so it'll print out on 3 pages.. I'll post them when I get it done.. Maybe tomorrow.. It's 24" tall and 7" wide..

·
2,392 Posts
AxlMyk said:
I can probably come up with plans for it easy enough.. Maybe scan the template so it'll print out on 3 pages.. I'll post them when I get it done.. Maybe tomorrow.. It's 24" tall and 7" wide..
Before you scan, don't forget Registration marks that can be overlapped from one scan to scan to ensure proper alignment... Just some "X"'s, etc. :) :)

Thank you for your efforts, etc.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Mike

I like it and thanks for the pattern :), my boss saw it and said "see he makes things for her ", and being a smart ass that I am I said OK I will make one or two for you ,it's a nice place to put the plants after you kill them :) :).
and see got up and said "screw you" but the true hurts, she buys plants all the time and then she finds a way to kill them :) :) :) open mouth stick in foot on my part. :) :)

Now I'm in deep S*%$T until I make one or two :) :), I think I will make them out of 3/4" MDF and paint them white . :)

Bj :)

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Mike

I'm going to make (THEM ) out of MDF and I going to change your plans by just a bit, hope that's OK with you :).
You know MDF, it will not take dowell pins that are tap in ,it likes to split so I going to use the T & G joints , to now make 6ea. yep 6 that's what the boss wants now , she wants to give one or two away :) :) but that's ok with me :)...

see small drawing below how I plan to do it a bit quicker.

Just a note,,I need to change the starter block size just a bit to get it to come out to the right size,but that's no big deal.
I could use sliding blind dovetails BUT it's MDF and the slots would be quicker I think and it's going to be painted flat white.

Bj :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.