Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"THE WIFE" likes to grow herbs on our back deck which is just outside our kitchen door, but usually plants them in a plastic tray and sets them on the deck floor.

So she says can you build a planter box around these three pots? She'd like it to have: legs to raise it up to a working height, and can you make it look nice, with grooves on the side? I say, you mean like bead board? and she says whatever! I'm thinking, "it was gonna look nice anyway, but hey, happy wife, happy life" :frown:

Build something nice around these:

Crosscutting panels - I've seen various panel sleds in use. Mine has the fence at the front as it allows me to crosscut wider panels without the sled tipping

Parts are cut for the box and the legs. The box is 3/4" construction grade plywood and the legs are made from 5/4 PT deck boards.

Box assembled

Miter the legs to lighten the look and add style. Rough cut on the band saw then clean up with a block plane. Mitering on the band saw is easier than setting up a miter sled on the table saw :grin:

Legs assembled with pocket screws and glue - removed sharp edges with a block plane

Sizing the cap boards - 2x4 lumber and making sure the corners are tight

Bevel the cap boards to add more style and lighten the look - have I said how much I like the Bosch 4100 :laugh2:

Assembly complete - added some T&G pine boards and finished up the trim - she wanted grooves. Thought about making my life easy with some beadboard but it's way too thin

Primed, painted and ready for duty

I neglected to include the dimensions: the planter box stands 25" tall (from the bottom of the legs), 36" wide and 12" deep. I added a plywood web frame on the inside to raise the pots up and to allow for drainage.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,338 Posts
What Stick said.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
What the others said.

Now get some dirt and finish the job!! lol

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Outstanding...!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Plus 1 on all the compliments. Looks great.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Looks fantastic! (I'm glad my wife can't see it...I have enough projects for this year....and next.)
It really is a nice looking planter, great job!

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Well designed and executed. Using pots inside the planter is far better than filling it with dirt. Cuts down the rot and makes changing the plants far easier.

Assume you spaced the slats in the bottom slightly or drilled in a few drain holes. I would also recommend setting the pots up on a small blocks to allow drainage under each pot.

Look forward to seeing it with the plants added.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jon - I created a web frame out of 3/4" plywood to raise the pots to the top of the box and to allow drainage. I should have taken a picture. The web frame consists of three short pieces that go front to back which are attached to the main box with screws and a cross piece (side to side) that is attached to the shorter pieces. Each piece of plywood is about 4 inches wide. There is no worry about water collecting in the box, either from watering or from the rain. Our deck faces west and we get some pretty good winds, so the weight of this planter will prevent it from getting blown over. Before winter I routinely move some of our deck furniture into the basement, and some items get moved into the shed, so nothing stays on the deck during the winter months.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Very well done and as Charles said, it was a great presentation.
Can you show a shot of the inside?
I may want to steal you idea.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Vince ~ Just what the doctor ordered. I have some cypress boards left over from a project which can easily be used for a planter box. Thanks for explaining how you built your plywood web to support your pots. I like the idea that you don't have a full bottom board that would eventually rot out. Great presentation. I copied your plans to my hard drive. Thanks for sharing.

Bob

1 - 20 of 35 Posts