Router Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On The Router Workshop they use plastic fences. Can anyone give me a good cheap source for that material?

Thanks

Melvin

·
Community Founder
6,782 Posts
mstevensjr said:
On The Router Workshop they use plastic fences. Can anyone give me a good cheap source for that material?

Thanks

Melvin
The material used is called, Polyethylene. I'm not quite sure of where they purchase the material, but considering you want a small quanity its probably going to be quite expensive.

If you would like some more information, I would suggest that you pay http://www.google.com a visit and input "Polyethylene" as your search query.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's UHMW Polyethylene - that's Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene.
The best place I've found to get it is from McMaster Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/
At the top of their page go to catalog page 3333 for bars. 1" x 2 1/2" is $6.75 per foot.
Hopes this helps or at least gives you some pricing references.
RL

·
Registered
143 Posts
I get the UHMV Polyethylene & HD Polyethylene I use from MSC Industrial Supply Co. Their web site is WWW1.mscdirect.com . They have a very large inventory and a 4" thick catalog to go with it. The HDPE is a little cheaper than the UHMW. If you buy a sheet of it and cut it to the size you want it is a lot cheaper than buying a pre cut piece from a WW supply. You'll have some left over for jigs and fixtures.
If you want some smaller pieces, Woodcraft Supply sells random pieces by 3lb & 4lb lots. It is good stuff, and a mix of colors too. Hope this helps......Chuck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi
For what its worth I make mine out of oak that I by in the lumber yard. Lowes stock it in 2, 3 and 4 ft lengths it is smooth and all you need to do is cut your hole for the bit just make sure that you get pieces that are streight. I use a 1x3 and a 1x2 I screw and glue the 1x2 to the 1x3 after I cut my holes using a drill press and hole saw and then I attach a 2 inch piece of pvc to the fence to except my shop vac hose keeps the table clean except when cutting datos. I finish mine with a coat of poly and they look great. I made 2 for my table one to fit across table and one for the length in case I am working on some long pieces. The upright piece also gives you a little more support on tall pieces. Any way we all have things that work best for us it may not be right for you just a thought about an alternet way of doing things.
Deacon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts