Router Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plastic is used for baseplates, fences, and a lot of things in connection with routers. What is the best kind of plastic to use for the different applications? How thick should it be? I am thinking about buying a Porter Cable 7518. What would be the best baseplate material for mounting it in a table?

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Phenolic is the material of choice for mounting plates, or aluminum. Either way 1/4" is the thickness you are looking for. Both will flex a bit with a 7518. I am mounting my 7518 on a Rousseau plate for easy swapping in my tables. The Rousseau plate has a built in curve to the top surface that flatens out with the weight of a router. Add to this the ability to mount guide bushings in the center, easy opening size changes, the safety pin, corner snuggers and levelers. The $44.95 price tag from Woodcraft is very reasonable for this well thought out design.

·
Registered
558 Posts
If you use phenolic use 3/8". You don't want an insert to "flex".I have had a PC 7518 hanging from a 3/8" phenolic insert for years with no sag. I also have tables with Woodpecker aluminum plates and don't measure any sag (flex,deflection) in any of them. The 7518 is a locomotive you will be happy with it.

Good Luck
Jerry

1 - 3 of 3 Posts