Router Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Purchased this with bunch of homemade Woodworking clamps and jigs at an auction. Have had it in the shop for a while, hoping I would figure out it's use. No such luck.

Anyone recognize what this is and how to use it? I'm hoping it's super-useful. :)

Thanks, everyone!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Based solely on the two holes on the face of the board and the adjustment screw/handle, I would say it is a sled for making box/dovetail joints...

I imagine it would be pretty slow, however. And I don't see anything that would guide it along the miter track. Maybe that is what that slice on the bottom is for...a unique track guide of sorts...?

Certainly home-made and most likely specific use on a specific router table surface...

I'm sure others will join in with better info...Good Luck

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
I think Nick is spot on. I'm guessing, in use it was used attached to a miter gauge.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I think Nick and Gene are correct in that it is probably a jig for making box joints, probably on a table saw - looks like there are a couple of kerfs on the face. I suspect that the screw/threaded rod, depending on size/threads per inch is designed to move the piece being cut a specific distance per every rotation of the handle at one end.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
There should be a guide pin in one of those wider kerfs. It would be the size of the box joint kerfs. It appears that piece is replaceable for different sized joints.
It's a neat jig. Very useful.

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
There should be a guide pin in one of those wider kerfs. It would be the size of the box joint kerfs. It appears that piece is replaceable for different sized joints.
It's a neat jig. Very useful.
You are right guys, and the little 1/2"X1/2" strip on the end next to the notch is what you said ,Gene. I use the same set up on a fixed jig, W/O the adjustment screw.

Herb

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Bulldog, if you plan to use it, and I hope you do, you will want a flat topped toothed blade for the saw.
And, it would be easier to use if you'd mount it on a piece of 1/2" ply, preferably, Baltic Birch, and then you could attach a runner for a miter slot.

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Bulldog, if you plan to use it, and I hope you do, you will want a flat topped toothed blade for the saw.
And, it would be easier to use if you'd mount it on a piece of 1/2" ply, preferably, Baltic Birch, and then you could attach a runner for a miter slot.

Kind of like this, only on it's own sled? Mine is clamped to the miter gauge.

Herb

Attachments

·
Registered
Mike
3,941 Posts
I'm thinking home made box joint jig to use on a tablesaw with regular blade as a miter gauge fence. By design you don't need a index pin because the stop on the fence is the registration and the number of turns on the crank gets you the width of the slot and width of the pin. This would be slow because you would just be cutting the width of the kerf each pass of the jig.

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
I'm thinking home made box joint jig to use on a tablesaw with regular blade as a miter gauge fence. By design you don't need a index pin because the stop on the fence is the registration and the number of turns on the crank gets you the width of the slot and width of the pin. This would be slow because you would just be cutting the width of the kerf each pass of the jig.
I agree with you ,I don't see any pin stops on it though,so would be kind of if'y without, just a tiny bit of error on the width would cause a big error in the end result.

Could be set easily for a box cutting blade with the crank. This jig is begging for replaceable insert, then could cut any width box joint.

Herb

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
I agree with you ,I don't see any pin stops on it though,so would be kind of if'y without, just a tiny bit of error on the width would cause a big error in the end result.

Could be set easily for a box cutting blade with the crank. This jig is begging for replaceable insert, then could cut any width box joint.

Herb
Looks like the whole front plate is replaceable. An insert would make more sense to me.

Reactions: Herb Stoops
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.