Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Hey, Tank; welcome.
More info would be helpful. Do you have pictures of the tree in leaf, or at least what it looked like before it was logged?
A close up shot of the bark? Pictures of seed pods from the tree? Is it deciduous or evergreen?

·
Premium Member
20,480 Posts
Have no idea. Out here I'd guess ash. Looks like a nice prospect for harvesting. Needs to be stored a little better. It also looks like a Western tree, a black locust.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No pictures of the tree in leaf, or what it looked like before it was cut down, no seed pods. The tree is deciduous! I will try to get a close up of the bark later on today. This tree was in a friends yard, but they didn't know the species either. They are letting me have the tree for free. I think it would make great bowl blanks for turning, or milled lumber. Thanks for your help so far!

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
My first impression is oak...

·
Registered
Theo
7,182 Posts
Looks like a poplar limb I cut awhile back.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
The thing is, Tank, if it came from a residential yard there's an excellent chance it's an ornamental species, not a native wild species. Could be anything from a Tulip tree to a Magnolia or???
This isn't a bad thing; it just means that you need more info from the owners... what the flowers looked like, colour, and time of blossoming would be a great start.
You may even have hit the motherload of free wood! :)

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
That's assuming the leaves are actually from the same tree, Nick.
A nice clean closeup of the bark would be really helpful. Cutting a thin round off the end of the trunk, and sanding it till it's nice and clean/smooth will also be a helpful closeup pic.
Going into any of the backyards around here (1/2 acre lots) would be like a trip to a botanical garden in terms of the amazing variety of ornamental tree species planted out.
Maples alone would be astounding if you treat each different A. japonica as separate species! We have at least a 1/2 doz. ourselves not including the Big Leaf maples.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
The pictures I checked for oak and yellow poplar had rougher bark than that plus the white oak seemed slightly darker. You may need to slice some off and do like Dan suggested. Also, taking a piece and cutting iut into a rectangle then measuring dimensions and weighing it would give specific gravity which could help too.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Thanks for the updated pics, Tank, but I think you'l need to do something like scraping the end grain to actually make it visible. Yeh, I know; picky picky... ;)

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Looks like Silky Oak or Queensland Maple as it's also called,but probably not grown over there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I appreciate all the input! I will try to cut a chunk out, and scrape the grain to get a better visual. Thanks again!
Updates to come!

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Doesn't it have to be dried first for specific gravity? Same for hardness?
Youy can dry it in a microwave. There are probably youtube videos on doing it.

Reactions: DaninVan
1 - 20 of 32 Posts