Router Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I ordered this Freud® 50-098 Oversized Top Bearing Flush Trim Router Bit - 5/16" Dia x 1" H x 1/4" Shank router bit inadvertently. After I opened and tossed package I realized i made an error. i meant to order a bit with bearing and cutter with the same diameter. I am new to hobby woodworking. Many years from now, I may attempt to build my own furniture and drawers and cabinets etc.

The bearing is oversized at 1/2 inch and cutter is 5/16 diameter. it’s a 1/4 shank.

I already have bushing sets for my 1/2 and 1/4 routers so I’m struggling to think of ways this oversized bearing bit might become useful in future.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Automotive tire Bumper Line Red Font

·
Super Moderator
672 Posts
welcome to the forum, EPH.
you can take the bearing off and just keep it with the rest of your bits.
you can order a bearing the size of the cutting area. (or see if your Box Stores carry bearings).
you can just hang on to it - some people's wealth is measured by the amount of tools they have.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Of course the result will be an object that's slightly larger than the pattern, so if you wanted to scale a pattern up symmetrically this might be useful. You could even do it a couple of times, making patterns from patterns, to enlarge the contour even more.

Or maybe you want to make something with a surface that's the exact size of the pattern, but with a chamfered edge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts