Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I watched a video where a woodworker was using a trim router with a plunge base to mimic the spring action of a Domino tool.

When the router is plunged, it returns to the top of its travel without having to release a lever.

Is this free spring action -- I don't know the correct way to describe this -- a feature on some plunge bases?

I don't have a plunge base for my trim router and the only plunge base I've used is on my Bosch 1617 and I have to press a lever to release the spring after a plunge.

Here's the video (it should start at the 2:00 minute mark, just before she uses the router):

What is this sorcery? :)

Thanks!

Registered
There are two variations on the theme: some makes have unrestricted plunge - the lock lever needs to be depressed to hold the plunged position.
other makes have what you describe: the default position is "locked", the lever needs to be depressed to unlock the plunge.
Matter of personal preference - I prefer the first option, but have both types. For the application in the video, the first option is preferable, otherwise the plunge lock has to be disabled (can be done, but what if you need it for the very next piece?).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When the router is plunged (down) you would have to lock it in place. If not, it would return to the beginning ;position c/o the spring. I am pretty sure that the Bosch 1617 is the same.
Yeah, that's the way my 1617 plunge works. There's no way (that I'm aware of) to disable the lock. But the behavior you describe, "return to the beginning position c/o the spring" is the behavior of the base in the video. She's using it horizontally so it makes sense for the type of cut she is making. Her plunge base is working similar to a Domino.

the first option is preferable, otherwise the plunge lock has to be disabled (can be done, but what if you need it for the very next piece?).
So there are bases out there that enable you to disable the plunge lock? That's good to know. I was thinking the person in the video had possibly altered her base to prevent the lock from happening.

Thanks!

Registered
I cannot speak to the Bosch 1617 (not very common in these latitudes, neither are fixed base routers), but many of the other locking mechanisms depend on a little brass slug, which is pressed against one of the columns by the locking/unlocking lever. Removing the slug (and putting it in a safe place) would disable the locking. Otherwise, the spring keeping the lever in the locked position can be removed - that would allow you to still lock the plunge when desired, but the lever might be a bit floppy.
If the router is to be dedicated to the type of work shown, the first option might be better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.