Router Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Ridgid R2900 routing kit and have problems with the plunge base. THe bit moves off center as I plunge, either from poor fit of sleeve bearings and/or lack of rigidity in the assembly. It is imposssible to get a good fit using a inlay bushing. Is this common or do I just have a bad plunge base? What is the best plunge router for inlays?

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I have a Ridgid R2900 routing kit and have problems with the plunge base. THe bit moves off center as I plunge, either from poor fit of sleeve bearings and/or lack of rigidity in the assembly. It is imposssible to get a good fit using a inlay bushing. Is this common or do I just have a bad plunge base? What is the best plunge router for inlays?
Hi Tony, sorry to hear about your problem.
Don't know how much help I can be as I am not familiar with that router and have only attempted a little inlay stuff, without much success.
I was thinking about it and wondered, is this a new problem or one you just noticed trying to do some precision stuff? How about the bushing kit, have you mic'ed it? Just a couple of wild guesses here?:confused:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi Tony,

It sounds to me like your guide bushing might not be centered well enough. Also, from what I have seen of inlay work done with those bushings, I'm not very impressed with the fit I see in the photos. None of the ones I've seen thus far look like a tight fit, even in the ads for the guide bushing sets to make them with. I have no personal experience with them, so maybe some more experienced folks will be of more help.

·
Registered
782 Posts
i use the pc690 with the whiteside inlay kit It come's with a centering pin To center up the bit If after doing that The plunge should be right on The bit goes thro the guide bushing and should be streight How do you know your router is not plunging streight ? I do inlays and they come out good and tight One thing is the templete shouldn't be to thick A 1/4" or 3/8" will work If thicker than that I found that the bit has a slite wobble on the end and the fit will not be tight I found this out on my own Also must be held flat on the work piece A learning curve is need to get them real good Also the doubble face tape Not the thick type It may move every so slightly you may not see it but the bit will I use the thin and works for me If the router is not working right It is a ridgid i would take it back and exchange it or buy another type of router ? good luck

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Tony

The plunge router must be true, if it moves off center pack it up in the box and return it..you can use a standard base for inlays ,it's a little bit tricky but it can be done ,in that way you can use the router you have on hand..

Don't forget you don't need to use a big router for inlays you are just going 1/8" deep the norm..(many trim routers will do the trick)

=====

1 - 5 of 5 Posts