Router Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all,

Long time lurker/first time poster here :)
I just bought a Swiss-made Elu MOF 177e off eBay to go with my 1980s indestructible lightweight Ryobi. It seems to be in very good shape, looks like it spend its life under a router table and was well looked after.

There seems to be no spring action in the plunge - the rods slide with ease into the base, but don't spring back out. I assume they were removed to facilitate usage in a table. Does that sound plausible? The seller doesn't know about it, he never used the machine himself.

I looked up the MOF177/DW625 spares online and those springs are readily available for cheap. Do you guys know if I need to take the whole router apart from the top, or if there is a way to disassemble the base from the bottom?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
If you can't find a manual (I didn't see anything in the router reference section) you'll have to just tinker around with it. Shouldn't be terribly hard but take lots of photos as you go. McMaster Carr has a great selection of springs, it's like yo can find something that will work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers guys!

I found a video of someone taking a Dewalt 625 apart, the base actually came off easily once I unscrewed the nuts off the fine height adjuster rod. As I suspected, there were no compression springs & attachement rods in there. Is it common practice to do that?

Thankfully, the rods & springs are available for £2 a pop!

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Cheers guys!

I found a video of someone taking a Dewalt 625 apart, the base actually came off easily once I unscrewed the nuts off the fine height adjuster rod. As I suspected, there were no compression springs & attachement rods in there. Is it common practice to do that?

Thankfully, the rods & springs are available for £2 a pop!
if it was used in a table...

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
The now discontinued Bosch 1619EVS has a simple lockout mechanism that allows the plunge router to be used in a table without having to actually remove the plunge return springs.
Others, not so much.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
The now discontinued Bosch 1619EVS has a simple lockout mechanism that allows the plunge router to be used in a table without having to actually remove the plunge return springs.
Others, not so much.
rumor control has it that the 19 is being brought back...

Reactions: DaninVan

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I have a Hitachi M12V2 I use in my table and Hitachi designed this router with table use in mind. They put threaded plugs on the bottom of the plunge tubes to facilitate removing the springs. You don`t need the spring back action in a table and gravity does the job for lowering it.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.