Router Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These boxes are used for exercise programs involving stepping up and down with weights. I built these with a friend that is a personal trainer. I'm pretty happy how they turned out. I used a router table to make all the joints, feet and hand holes. A detailed write up on how I made them is here.

Attachments

·
Registered
754 Posts
That is excellent work. One small suggestion for future projects. Make them NEST into each other, so that two or three of them will only take up the footprint of one unit. Alternately, since the larger one has a bottom panel, a protrusion at the feet of the shorter unit that rests into pockets around the top of the larger unit would allow them to be stacked into an end table or something when not in use.

Joe

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I told the coach at the gym I go to that I'd make him a plyo box...guarantee it won't be that nice, Phil! Beautifully crafted.
I think the jig is key to making these boxes. If you come down Seattle way, I will give you my jig. Though, it's not hard to make your own.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is excellent work. One small suggestion for future projects. Make them NEST into each other, so that two or three of them will only take up the footprint of one unit. Alternately, since the larger one has a bottom panel, a protrusion at the feet of the shorter unit that rests into pockets around the top of the larger unit would allow them to be stacked into an end table or something when not in use.

Joe
Yes, nesting and or stacking was part of the original plan. I drew up several different ideas but it just didn't seem to work. Having 2 orientations for stepping (12 & 18) adds some complications. At one point there was a 24" step included but my Personal Trainer friend said few people use that height so I dropped it. I got some flack for "spending all my time fiddling with the computer" so gave up and built the best plan I had.

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,252 Posts
Great write up explaining how you made the boxes. Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.