Router Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was asked to make a podium for a veterans group. They wanted it for their Memorial Day celebration.

I made it out of mahogany and finished it with my usual Zar oil-based semi-gloss polyurethane mixed 50/50 with mineral spirits. I put about 6 coats using the blue paper shop towels cut in fourths then folded into fourths. The last two coats I added some Zar gloss polyurethane to this mixture to obtain more shine to the finish. I attached a microphone to it and delivered it yesterday.

For the sign on the front I took some 1/4" tiger maple to the engraver and he burns the lettering on it. It has several coats of the poly mixture.

Malcolm / Kentucky USA

Attachments

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The veterans group said they plan to take the podium outdoors for their speech then take it back in. They had been borrowing a podium from a church, but decided they wanted their own. The one they had been borrowing was much heaver so they wanted this one light enough to move, but sturdy enough to not fall over. I had to design it because I had nothing to go on. Malcolm / Kentucky USA

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FORGOT TO MENTION...The mahogany was too light in color when I first started. To darken it I applied a coat of boiled linseed oil. After a few minutes and wiped it off. After an hour or so I wiped it down again. I kept wiping it down for a couple days because if I pressed down with my fingers on the wood oil would appear. After a couple days it appeared dry enough to start applying the polyurethane.

I have made several items lately of mahogany and ran into the same situation. Boiled linseed oil darkens the wood, but I wanted to make sure there was no more oil appearing on the wood before I proceeded with the finish. Malcolm / Kentucky USA

·
Registered
Mike
3,941 Posts
Malcolm that turned out great and I agree the open design was the perfect way to go on this project.

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
That's nice. Better they have their own podium too.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Beautiful job Malcolm and your finishing technique, which I've adopted, it the best.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Outstanding piece...nicely done...

They will be very happy with it...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.